One chain length for for two sprockets?

Craiger

Registered
I want to try running with a 16/43 sprocket setup on my 04 Busa for commuting but if I go on a long tour I'm thinking for fuel economy to switch back to the 17/40 sprockets. Since I have to put on a new chain anyways I'm wondering if I can have one chain length?

I've never seen a mileage improvement with gearing. The factory map has a sweet spot at 4K RPMs. See what you find out :poke:

Since I'm running Yosh stage 1's and full Akro and pc3 since going to a 16t on the front i've obviously seen an increase in cruising rpm and my fuel usage is up slightly. But I want to have a bit of fun and put a 43t on the rear with my new chain but once the chain is cut and on that's it and if my fuel usage really sucks I would like to go back to 17/40 for long tours.
I found a pinned post by Viperman that says a stock length chain within limits will accommodate a -1/+3 switch. I'm hoping somebody can verify and should I leave an extra link or two?

Yes, you have enough adjustment to accommodate those minor changes. It will change the position of the rear wheel and length of wheelbase. I'm +3 on the rear and the wheel is pulled up at this time. Going -2 will put you toward max adjustment from my experience.

Back