Once was considering turning in the busa for an R1 but.....

Snakers

Registered
I had the opportunity to take one for a ride this weekend and my thoughts are...

Throttle Control: R1 seemed sluggish in low RPMs. Seems like I had to run it consistently at 8k rpms if I didnt want to feel like I was waiting for the engine to spool up to 8k to regain response time.

Size: R1 is alot less bike. I felt like I wasnt riding on anything and I was hoving at however fast I was going. For me, that didnt seem too pleasant. Felt much more secure on the busa feeling like I was actually inside the bike. False sense of security? Possibly, but its a feeling none the less.

Turning: The R1 is definitely a more aggressive turning style...however, for some reason I felt like I had to get lower to make the same turns at the same speed, losing more of that sense of security. I also was toe dragging at mild turns (the R1 was stretched and lowered) so making tighter turns wasn't happening. I feel like I can make sharper turns in a more upright position on my busa.

Seating position: On the R1 my nuts were on the tank. Its forced me to squeeze the tank with my legs on turns...but my nuts were on the tank. Way over-hunched to press on the gear levers with only minimal space between the peg and the lever. I felt like my foot could slip off any moment.

Heat: Talk about a leg roaster. The R1 not only runs hot, but the fairings do not spread the heat away from your legs. It just sits at the fairings below the tank and roasts what is ever there....your legs.

Overall,
Glad I never decided to trade in the Busa for an R1. Would have been a big mistake.

my friends got a 2008 r1 and you are right about the heat on that bike. she always complains about it. one good thing about the r1 is that it is totally warmed up in 2 minutes even from cold, and she bought the raven as a well, that bike is hot

Back