Onan 5500 Gold Marquis Generator Help!

racerV

Did you say something?
Donating Member
Registered
Do any of you have access to a service manual for this genset? It is a 5.5 HGJAB. It runs very rich and I need to figure out how to adjust the carb.

Thanks,

Thanks Robert however this isn't something that Cummins gives away....

there are a few stationary gensets that have adjustments for this but not many..

check the air filter and then get some pics of the carb if you can...

I have worked on quite a few of these and might get lucky and recognize the carb.. otherwise.. take the carb off and take a peek inside.. usually what happens is one of the air bleeds gets a bit of gunk in it and where gas and air are supposed to mix, only fuel flows..

rarely floats will sink or the needle seat are borked but that usually leads to a fuel leak when not running..

I used to work on floor buffers with onan 5.5 engines, all where lp however, im digging through my manuals now....most common thing I would see was blown gaskets and bad valves...makes for some milky oil and white exhaust...now the machines with the 17 hp v-twin kawasaki engines really could make a floor shine!!!
by the way the company I worked for while doing this was damon chemicle in alliance ohio

Last edited:
It seems to be electronically controlled. There is a plug that comes up into the bottom of the bowl and there is an electronic choke. At idle, it seem to run ok but when a load is put on it, you can see gas inside just kinda squirting around and the secondary butterfly almost closes. When I try to run both AC's, it bogs down and stalls out....

Look to see if it is in winter or summer mode. try running some marvel Mystery oil through it. just mix in your gas. No kidding, trick the rv service dept uses at my rv dealership.

Back