ON THE STREET

fatjap

Registered
Well ladies and gents the FATJAP is riding again. My canadian plastic showed up at noon today, did my test ride at 1730(5:30 pm). No buzzing, no problems.

To bad I'm leaving on sunday for a month. But I'll ride my daughter to school (2 blocks) then I'll take the long way to work.

Thanks to all especially Howlin Mad.

HAYABUSA's ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well ladies and gents the FATJAP is riding again.  My canadian plastic showed up at noon today, did my test ride at 1730(5:30 pm).  No buzzing, no problems.

To bad I'm leaving on sunday for a month.  But I'll ride my daughter to school (2 blocks) then I'll take the long way to work.

Thanks to all especially Howlin Mad.

HAYABUSA's ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad your back again...

Did you have any problems getting your bike registed in the US? What all did you have to change? Thanks in advance for the info. I bought a Canadian spec also.

Well I did mucho research. This is straight from the NHSTA, they say what and who can come into the U.S.. The headlight has to have a DOT stamp on the glass(the canadian does). It also meets all U.S. emisions as well. I changed the gauges to U.S. and used a Yellow Box to convert KPH to MPH, it doesn't do the odometer though. I later found that the gauges where not checked but thats dependent on how much of a jerk the vehicle inspectors are. Well talk about registration in a minute. Now its time for the paper work trail-if you financed in Japan check to see if you can take the bike from the country(if your in Japan though COLA should have paid for it). Then write to SUZUKI AMERICA I forget the exact person but what you do is request a Title of Origin on your VIN #. You'll get a letter stating that your bike is dijobu(ok to come in the US).
Take this paper(make lots of copies and the original, this is the only document that can make or brake you) and your orders to Personal Property on base when its time to move and they'll ship it with your house hold goods.

Now registering: where ever you go there should be Military Exemptions(check online at the DMV website where your going). I road from the base with a kanji plate to the DMV office, had a couple of people say cool stuff. Get insurance, orders and your Japanese title(all the paperwork: title, JCI and Jap insurance) go to the dmv. They'll send through the inspection line just to make sure its la-git, they'll check the bike most important......the VIN #'s match. Remember the VIN # is also on the back of your crank case....look where the rear shock is then forward on the back of the motor, this VIN # has to match the stamped VIN.
It cost me 75 bucks only becuase a new title had to be writen, if not 35 beans.

Hope that helped, I know it was long.
I miss Japan bro, as a matter of fact met a Nihong family tonight at the park and used my "conversational japanese" how cool. PEACE OUT GAMBATE-KUDASAI

Man that helps alot! Thanks a million! I was getting worried, as some other folks said this and that about getting it back to the states. Just didn't want it to cost me an arm & a leg. Good Info, thanks again FJ! :D

No prob......if you go to personal property with questions, make sure you ask the japanese guys.
The military clowns that work there don't know much, you know how us japs are, get all the info then act like you dont...............peace

Welcome back FJ!!! When's the last time to talked to Howlin? Tell him to give me a holla if you talk to him please...... Thanks!!

Shiny side up Bro.....

LoBusa

Back