Old Guy's and Busa's

It the tobin seat that much lower than a stock unit? also is suzuki's gel seat any lower than a tobin? Anybody that knows please chime in..:whistle:

Tobin sit lower than stock and the Suzuki is as same as stock but with gel. My Tobin sits almost 2" lower than stock.

I actually find riding my Busa over my VTX is more comfortable. I am not that far behind you @ 55. The weight is distributed off of your butt a little more. I do not use Heli Bars after about 70,000 miles on Busas, but if you find your wrists hurting go up a little bit and use them.

Re: Old Guy's and Busa's

There is a lot of great advice for riders of all ages in this thread, not just for us old guys!
I'll approach this topic from another angle..............I'm 64 big ones and have an 09 busa on order and up until two months ago was the proud owner of a stock 2007 GSXR1000; no heli bars or other add-on comfort mods needed.
IF you are physically able, the secret to comfortable riding is being in shape. I'm no hero, but when you start getting up in years and find yourself still wanting to ride these two-wheeled sports orientated bikes, you have no other choice, you gotta be on some sort of exercising regimen, period! I've been jogging 4 - 5 miles every other day since 1977 and do other aerobic exercises on the alternate days for at least 1 hour sessions. Combine this with proper diet and no smoking and you'll be surprised at just how long you'll be able to pursue this notoriously "young man" sport. :beerchug:
Am I the oldest busa nut out here? Hmmmmm.................I wonder????

Last edited:

Don't know how many miles you have on it , but it will get better with some time. In addition to tha mods mentioned, you need to ride using your abs to hold you up. Coming from a cruiser myself, this was a hard adjustment for me. Also slide up toward the tank and grip it with your legs. Holding yourself up will keep the weight off your wrists. Doubble bubble windshield and throttlemeister cruise control will help too. Keep at it, it will get better. I'm soon to be 58, and have logged over 32,000 miles on my 05.

That sums it up.

:welcome: do the Heli bars next and see if you need t do the buell peg mod. I'm 58 and 5'8" and the bars were a big help. :beerchug:

I'am 60 and have; Heli Bars, Tobin and TLR1000 pegs. All makes it real comfortable for me, and I do Touring when I have time with NO PROBLEMS. I really think it's more getting use to the different position than anything. To me, cruisers are very uncomfortable and a sports bike lean is very comfortable. Maybe it's just what you like and get use too :whistle:

I too came from a cruiser and the Busa was my first sport bike and I have to agree with others, give yourself ample time to acquire a feel for the new riding position. If out of shape physically then start exercising, you just might be suprised how much this will help.

Agree, give it some time. I'm 51..RHAML (Rode Harleys All MyLife) and i hurt like the dickens for about a month. stillhave stock pegs and bars and suspension on the bike. but I have purchased helibars and buell pegs. will try each separate and then together. see what i like. I put on almost 8000 miles inless than 3 month working a steady job. I really love the riding position and all that it affords. GIve it time.

Thanks for all the great input. I'm 5'9" tall, weight about 165 and have a 30" inseam. I already figured out the holding the tank with my knee's and bending the elbows, it helps but not enough. I had about 2 months riding in before it got too cold so I don't think waiting will help. Sometimes I found riding sitting up on straights with only my right hand on the throttle helped but it's not real safe. From what I'm hearing is sounds like the helibars, Tobin seat and Buell pegs are what I'll try. Say what you want but I can ride my Harley with forward pegs, a custom gel seat and buckhorn bars all day with only some lower back pain after 6 (that's about all I can do)hours in the saddle. Between the cold weather and some health issues I have to deal with I probably won't be riding again before April so I'll try and get all the mods done before then and get back to you with the results. I'll get a picture up when the weather gets better. Right now both bikes are in the garage under covers with battery tenders on them. Thanks again for the feedback, it is a great bike and this is a great website.

The Helibars and Buell pegs are a very easy install. THere is a link with pictures for the Helibars that helped me a lot. Just search this forum for it. I would also go for the Tobin seat. I plan to get one for my 08 this Winter. I loved it on my 06. I came from Goldwings, but I could not go back!

I'm 51 years along and the riding position takes awhile to get use to but I don't think I'd want to ride any thing else. I recently got rid of some Genmar risers for a lowering triple and the inch and a quarter difference in riding stand took about a week to get accustom to.

Started riding in 1970 and haven't been with out since. I am 60 and still drag race bikes. I will ride till become a hazard to the road. I know everyone likes pics so here are some from last summer 2008

DSC_0074.jpg

IMG.jpg

DSCN7900.jpg

Back