Old Guy's and Busa's

Mobil1guy

Registered
Okay, I guess I'm age challenged. At 60 I've been riding Harley's most of my life but I recently bought a left over 2007 (got a really good deal) and I love it, except for the riding position. After a 100 miles my wrists hurt a lot. I'm thinking of going the helibar, Buell pegs, Tobin seat, rear lowering link route to get some of my weight off my wrists. Anyone out there have any thoughts or suggestions?

Don't know how many miles you have on it , but it will get better with some time. In addition to tha mods mentioned, you need to ride using your abs to hold you up. Coming from a cruiser myself, this was a hard adjustment for me. Also slide up toward the tank and grip it with your legs. Holding yourself up will keep the weight off your wrists. Doubble bubble windshield and throttlemeister cruise control will help too. Keep at it, it will get better. I'm soon to be 58, and have logged over 32,000 miles on my 05.

I'm soon to be 58, and have logged over 32,000 miles on my 05.
You're a youngin huh?

tounge.gif

r8

Heli and Tobins should suffice.

r8
We're both near the same age, and you'll find the peg change along with the Heli Bars a real plus
hello.gif
. Of course you'll also have to get use to the new position, which I find MUCH more comfortable than a crusier. Infact, when touring (and that's generally at least 500 mile days) with a tank bag, I just lay forward and could sleep ! AGE, has NOTHING to do with the comfort thingy ! It's just new to you and you'll need to just do a little adjustments.  
jump9.gif

Gripping the tank w/ your legs will take the strain off. It will take awhile to get used to doing this. Stompgrip pads are great for helping you grip. I have wrist problems & wear a brace on my left wrist when I ride.

Don't do anything yet..

Ride the bike for atleast 2 weeks to let your body adjust to the new riding position. Otherwise, even with all the comfort mods performed, it won't feel as comfortable as your cruisers. Because you'll still be leaned over more than your used to even with the mods performed.

welcome.gif
to the board. I'm still a young feller at 50 but a suggestion I would offer is to be sure and bend your elbows. Next time you ride your Busa always keep a slight bend in your elbows, don't lock your arms in a straight line. I have a tendency to do this on boring straight line sections and have to remind myself to relax.
Have fun with your new ride, be safe..  Tom

PS.. What color '07 did you get? We'll be expecting pictures soon.
winkold.gif

+1 on the helibars, got 'em love 'em. Some folks combine them with the Genmar risers.
http://www.zianet.com/GenMar/
A Tobin will drop your ass in relation to the bars but will reduce leg room. That might or might not matter depending on how tall you are. The buell pegs would help with the leg room. Rear lowering link will mess with the handling and not change the relationship beteween the seat, pegs and bars. Most folks just lower the rear for looks or if they are short of inseam. If you do lower the rear, lower the front as well so as not to screw up the front end geometry. A throttle rocker and or throttle meister "cruise control" bar ends will give your right hand relief.
http://www.throttlemeister.com/
Speigler bar raiser kits are more involved install, and will give you that early 80's superbike position.
http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/sbk.cfm
Convertibars are another option.
http://www.convertibars.com/

Welcome to the dark side! Harleys are great, but they are to motorcycling as hay rides are to equestrian sports.  

beerchug.gif

cheers
ken

Welcome aboard! I'll chime in and say that I've raised my bars 1" and done the buell peg mod, and don't regret either mod in the least.

That being said, whoever said you shouldnt do anything yet is right. Ride for a while longer and get used to the posture firsr. It's substantially different than a cruiser (I know, i came over from cruisers myself) and takes some getting used to. definitely work on holding your body up with your abs, and squeezing the tank with your legs (think riding a horse) and you'll find that the pressure you're feeling on your wrists will diminish considerably.

Great to have you aboard.

Congrats on your new scoot~

Must be chilly ridin' in New Jersey this time of year...
laugh.gif

Welcome to the greatest bike site anywhere.

I too came from a cruiser and the Busa was my first sport bike and I have to agree with others, give yourself ample time to acquire a feel for the new riding position. If out of shape physically then start exercising, you just might be suprised how much this will help.

Thanks for all the great input. I'm 5'9" tall, weight about 165 and have a 30" inseam. I already figured out the holding the tank with my knee's and bending the elbows, it helps but not enough. I had about 2 months riding in before it got too cold so I don't think waiting will help. Sometimes I found riding sitting up on straights with only my right hand on the throttle helped but it's not real safe. From what I'm hearing is sounds like the helibars, Tobin seat and Buell pegs are what I'll try. Say what you want but I can ride my Harley with forward pegs, a custom gel seat and buckhorn bars all day with only some lower back pain after 6 (that's about all I can do)hours in the saddle. Between the cold weather and some health issues I have to deal with I probably won't be riding again before April so I'll try and get all the mods done before then and get back to you with the results. I'll get a picture up when the weather gets better. Right now both bikes are in the garage under covers with battery tenders on them. Thanks again for the feedback, it is a great bike and this is a great website.

I don't think its age (I'm 57) as much as the rider's size and arm length. I have 37" arms and find the handlebars and seat/pegs ok for me. I suppose the pegs could be a tad lower but in 20,000+ miles I haven't had any problems. The only drawback for me on any sport bike is riding downhill at slow speeds.

+1 Wait before mods a little while.....

You need to remember that with a new bike you need to break it in ...WELL it also needs to break you in....My wife came from cruisers also and the busa is her first sport bike ....waited about 6000 miles to change anything on her bike....and all we changed was lowering links..EXCEPT for tobin seat was immediatly......

WELCOME
welcome.gif
to the best site in the world .......

post some pics....
rulez8bn.gif

013.JPG

i'm 60. bought my 06 busa in may of this year. still own a Harley Electraglide that i enjoy. my mods for the busa are 1-1/4 genmar risers,buell footpeg mod,3" lowered,gel seat. like everyone says- the riding position is just different. takes some getting used to. it was a big change for me. i rode to the fall busa bash 250 miles 1 way for me and i was o.k. just came out of open heart surgery too so i wasn't in the best physical shape. what a wonderful motorcycle those busas. have fun and be safe.

Sent my seat to Tobin, got it back in 10 days even though I added a comment I was in no rush. Love the seat, love the quality, can't believe the turn-around time.

Back