Old fuel in tank (7 months)

ALLshow.NOgo

Registered
Hello guys, bike is going to be in running condition pretty soon. I found a painter that will paint the bike any 2 colors, 2 or 3 stage pearl for 600$. Not bad. So I have a great idea in mind. Can I use some additive in the tank ? I don't know how to drain it. Not sure if I use that additive for 'sitting' bikes and run the old fuel out, will it harm.

What is your opinion thank you.

Take the Bike to a local shop and have them suck it out then put fresh fuel and add some stabil to the fuel.

If your asking about storing for long term. If its gonna be more than 5 months id drain it. If its gonna be right at 5 months or so i would splash some stabil in it and run the bike to empty. then fill up with new gas and ad 2oz of stabil. Let it run for 5 minutes and park it.

Just my .02 cents

yeah i will do that, better option, I gues just unbolt the tank and pour upside down
remove the seat
lift tank
disconect fuel line
connect small piece of fuel line to fuel pump
put new line in gas storage tank
turn on key and drain gas

then if short term storage less than 1 month
reconect oem fuel line
start bike and let run out of fuel

if longer than 1 month , I would pop the plugs out and add about a teaspoon of marvals mystery oilto each cylinder , crank the engine a few rotations then reinstall the plugs

good luck
beerchug.gif

I would also remove the fuel pump assy and store it some place safe and clean , duct tape the hole realy good , if the pump is going to be stored for a long time or even a short time it would be best to store it submerged in fuel so things do not dry up

Good job on the tips guys, for when I do store it. Most likely i will store dry.
Nice tip on fuel injection cleaner, did not think about that.
I will siphon the gas, put in some injection cleaner and put in new with stabile aswell
smile.gif

yeah i will do that, better option, I gues just unbolt the tank and pour upside down
remove the seat
lift tank
disconect fuel line
connect small piece of fuel line to fuel pump
put new line in gas storage tank
turn on key and drain gas

then if short  term storage less than 1 month
reconect oem fuel line
start bike and let run out of fuel

if longer than 1 month , I would pop the plugs out  and add about a teaspoon of marvals mystery oilto each cylinder , crank the engine a few rotations  then reinstall the plugs

good luck  
beerchug.gif

I would also remove  the fuel pump assy and store it some place safe and clean , duct tape the hole realy good , if the pump is going to be stored for a long time or even a short time it would be best to store it submerged in fuel  so things do not dry up
What???!! 1 month and you want to pull plugs? check your info brother. Stabil will hold for about 5 months minus the aeromatics in the fuel. No need to go all out for 1 month.....
rock.gif

I have been riding in Anchorage Alaska for 38 years and riding season is around 6 months here. I store my bikes in my garage every winter and have never gone to such extreems as every one on this therad . I park them with full tanks of fuel and they run just fine when started in the spring. Don't waste your time and money on all thease suggestions. Your bike isn't that delicate.

I have been riding in Anchorage Alaska for 38 years and riding season is around 6 months here. I store my bikes in my garage every winter and have never gone to such extreems as every one on this therad . I park them with full tanks of fuel and they run just fine when started in the spring. Don't waste your time and money on all thease suggestions. Your bike isn't that delicate.
I happen to agree with that sentiment. I might put some Sea Foam in it and run it for a bit but that's about all.

--Wag--

Couldn't agree more. I have two bikes sitting in the garage with gas that's at least 6 months old right now and come April I'll turn the key, push the start button and ride away.
Gas in my snowblower was over 1 year old when I fired it up last month.

Anything I own with a metal tank gets topped off in the fall to prevent condensation and that's it.

Sometimes I think people liken a gallon of gas to a gallon of milk that goes rancid after 2 weeks.

That's a bad habit of letting gas get that old. By 6 months, the gas has broken down quite a bit. It may burn, but not well and it will leave deposits. Adding Sta-bil to the fuel BEFORE it sits is the way to do it.
I've worked on quite a few lawnmowers where the owners felt they didn't need to worry about the fuel system.

With Carbs it's not too bad, but your messing with high pressure fuel injectors in the Busa with very small spray ports. You want clean.

Back