Old Country Cottages and Olde World Charm . . .

Kiwi Rider

Registered
Don't you love old cottages in small country settlements. . .
Yesterday I went to a BBQ where a group of old friends meet every year at this time.
We were all good friends since our teens, and have all kept in touch over the years, through marriages and divorces, good times and bad times.
But the location we meet at is quite special, a small country settlement (too small to call a town) at a friends holiday home, a lovely old period cottage.
It has a certain air and class about it, a sanctuary for us all to retreat to, I love it, I think you will too, here's some pics . . .

The place is 110 years old . .
image.jpeg

Really cool inside, like a museum piece . . .
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Outdoor BBQ area . . . .
image.jpeg

Out the back yard this is an old Railway carriage converted to a
Relaxation Retreat . . .
image.jpeg

That's my car, it was a lovely warm day, 30c.
IMG_2577.JPG

A view inside the relax retreat . . .
IMG_2585.JPG

An old car shed converted into a sleepout . .
IMG_2587.JPG

A view of the old carriage from the side . . .
IMG_2586.JPG

The place has a magnificent garden with a lot of fruit trees and berry bushes, herb garden, vege garden, it's got it all going on, very very cool.

Last edited:
I like that place , it certainly has a heap of character . If that was Australia , there could be at least poisonous spiders and possibly even snakes potentially sharing those retreats and sleepouts with you , Kiwi !!

I like that place , it certainly has a heap of character . If that was Australia , there could be at least poisonous spiders and possibly even snakes potentially sharing those retreats and sleepouts with you , Kiwi !!
Yes, I know all about the spiders and snakes . . .

The biggest problem we had at the cottage was a lot of sand-flies. They are very small and love biting you on the feet and ankles primarily . . any where really, the bites itch like crazy and come up in small lumps . . . really really annoying!
1548607070463.png

" They tear at our skin, using saw-like barbs to widen tiny wounds, and suck our blood. (Really, that's how they feed).
Yes, it's the humble New Zealand blackfly, commonly known as the sandfly.
On occasion, the bites cause nasty swelling, itching, hives, and a general desire to scream.
At their worst, in the most intense sandfly-ridden spots of the West Coast, entomologists have recorded a bite rate of up to 1000-an-hour. In a couple of minutes, that could be hundreds of little bites, on your arms, neck, face, feet.
Sandflies, on a minute level, rip and tear the flesh to open the skin and access blood, using anti-coagulating qualities of saliva to feed. It's histamine that causes the itching and swelling."

NOT NICE!!!

@Kiwi Rider found this picture of my great grandparent’s house. The “kitchen” didn’t have a stove. It’s still in the family and I’m not even sure how old it is, but I loved spending some weeks of my summer vacation there. Very simple and peaceful life. We would go to the back of the property and grab some veggies, a chicken and some plantains and cook lunch or dinner. They didn’t get a regular propane stove until I was a teenager. We used to jump on the horses and ride down to the river and spend the day there playing. Summers were fun !
07C53C21-3638-4BF9-A50A-8A3EB5F4B8A2.png

u
831A85C7-A64F-4275-870E-9E2E1B565617.jpeg

@Kiwi Rider found this picture of my great grandparent’s house. The “kitchen” didn’t have a stove. It’s still in the family and I’m not even sure how old it is, but I loved spending some weeks of my summer vacation there. Very simple and peaceful life. We would go to the back of the property and grab some veggies, a chicken and some plantains and cook lunch or dinner. They didn’t get a regular propane stove until I was a teenager. We used to jump on the horses and ride down to the river and spend the day there playing. Summers were fun !View attachment 1593423

uView attachment 1593424
Very cool Miguel! Great memories too huh?
So where is that house located?
Florida?

Back