Okay Folks...I have a question about "Oil Filters"

(mountainmotor @ Feb. 27 2007,07:23) No anti-drain back function in it's design = no Scotts filter for me . The price is same as 19 Purolaters . I use good synthetic and change annually . 19 years from now I doubt I'll have my Busa .

The larger particles never get to the filter anyway . The oil pick-up stops that from happening . Not filtering when cold due to bypass is non issue for me contrary to what Scott says about it .

Burned up clutches from drag racing and not dropping the oil pan is the demise of most the Busa engines in terms of bearings killed from lack of oil supply .
Not dropping the pan? Could you elaborate some more on this please? Are you saying the clutch dust is clogging the pick up?

Are you saying the clutch dust is clogging the pick up?

That along with the fragments after shelling the fibers sure can do it .

(mountainmotor @ Feb. 27 2007,14:58) Are you saying the clutch dust is clogging the pick up?

That along with the fragments after shelling the fibers sure can do it .
Should I be worried about mine? Mine started slipping last year but the fibers were still within specs. Because I didn't kill it, I didn't think I needed to worry about dropping the pan. I'll have the exhaust off soon to weld a bung in it for an O2 sensor.

Think I need to go ahead and drop the pan for a look?

(Shibumi @ Feb. 27 2007,06:37)
(Spudley @ Feb. 27 2007,02:48) CHROME GM
rock.gif
.....ok stop right there !!!!!......

By the way, where do I get the $107.99 filter
rock.gif
super.gif
Me Likey !!!!
Right here!
I'm sold on that reusable filter the only question I have is , "Is it the same size of the OEM filter ? Last week I go and pick up a K&N and 4 quarts of the good stuff ( Amsoil 20/50 ) got home took the right fairing off , drained the old oil and took off the old filter only to find the K&N would not clear my headers to fit . It had a nut on the head of the filter for tightening and removal that would not allow me to get the damn thing on . Wouldn't you know it , all the bike shops are closed which led to a mad kamikaze mission to every auto parts store around only to find that nobody had a reference oil filter for a Hayabusa . It was Friday night and I was ready to get my Throttle on but instead I ended up going to the liquor store to get my Drink on . Man I was hot all night about that . The next day I took it back and got a OEM filter but if that reusable fits I'm sold.

rock.gif

Yep , it's part of the racing program . If you don't find anything , you know it's good to go till next clutch goes south .

Slivers , small pieces from the gear box and clutch basket + original machining swarf can be in there too . That stuff can polish bores . Most of it drains with the oil but 1/2 quart remains in engine and that 1/2 quart can be carrying swarf and the likes .

Easy to do and just reseal with Yamabond or eqivilent

(tinmann @ Feb. 27 2007,13:57)
(Shibumi @ Feb. 27 2007,06:37)
(Spudley @ Feb. 27 2007,02:48) CHROME GM
rock.gif
.....ok stop right there !!!!!......

By the way, where do I get the $107.99 filter
rock.gif
super.gif
  Me Likey !!!!
Right here!
I'm sold on that reusable filter the only question I have is , "Is it the same size of the OEM filter ? Last week I go and pick up a K&N and 4 quarts of the good stuff ( Amsoil 20/50 ) got home took the right fairing off , drained the old oil and took off the old filter only to find the K&N would not clear my headers to fit . It had a nut on the head of the filter for tightening and removal that would not allow me to get the damn thing on .  Wouldn't you know it , all the bike shops are closed which led to a mad kamikaze mission to every auto parts store around only to find that nobody had a reference oil filter for a Hayabusa . It was Friday night and I was ready to get my Throttle on but instead I ended up going to the liquor store to get my Drink on . Man I was hot all night about that . The next day I took it back and got a OEM filter but if that reusable fits I'm sold.
Weird - Do you have a custom exhaust header? K&N with the nut fits mine just fine - everytime.

rock.gif

These are the originators of the re-usable oil filter design. I actually met the guy who invented these years ago when their shop was just down the road from where I work. These type of filters can be found on the bulk of the cars in Nascar! They allow you to easily look at exactly what is going through your oil system. Nascar guys check em after every session for signs of problems. I have never seen one employed on a bike though, probably due to spacial constraints. Their's go down to 28 microns! (28microns=0.0011023628")
http://www.obergraceproducts.com/

I have a Tiforce Sumo exhaust and for the life of me could not get the K&N filter in there . The OEM went in and out without a hitch.

Back