ok, what's the best way to get this out

semi

Whoooosh!
Donating Member
Registered
sorry the pic isn't any clearer but the bolt head is ground down...what's the best/easiest way to get it out?

IMG_9620.jpg

Screw extractor bit.
Available at most auto parts stores(these are Craftsman).
They cut into what's left of the allen or Phillips opening, then bite, and the fastener turns out as normal...usually:laugh:

SDC10215.jpg

Basically they are the internal version of this kind, that removes bolts with rounded off heads.
Both of these can save a lot of time and frustration:thumbsup:

SDC10217.jpg

the screw will be soft just tap an allen wrench into the head if you don't wont to buy an extractor it will take a few taps but will jam in,, allen wrench will be toast after, but it works... personal experience talking, same thing

Looks like you may have a lot of surface to work with. If you have rotary tool (dremel) you should be able to cut a grove deep enough to back it out with a slothead (flat blade) screwdriver. Otherwise, what he said ^^

The three things I was gonna tell you to try have been stated. Allen Wrench first, extractor second, slot third. You might end up using an easy out before it's over. That allen bolt may be fractured and the head might spin right off the shaft. Best of luck brother.

thanks for all the good ideas, one of these has got to work :beerchug:

What panel is that? If you do not get it with one of the mentioned ways you can use a drill large enough to allow the head to break free and take the panel off...then use vice grips on the remaining stud sticking out...as a last resort move

Like DO3 said... I was going to say what's already been mentioned. I've had lots of luck with jamming in Allen's or screwdrivers. Cutting a slot in that to put a screwdriver on it is going to be had to do with out messing up the panel. I'd get an easy out kit if you can't smash something into it. Goo luck and let us know how you get her out.

What they said...one of those should work. Good luck!

Well, did you get the bolt out?

waiting for the stores to open to get a screw extractor kit,...going to try that first and then move on to some of the others if it doesn't get the job done :beerchug:

What panel is that? If you do not get it with one of the mentioned ways you can use a drill large enough to allow the head to break free and take the panel off...then use vice grips on the remaining stud sticking out...as a last resort move

it is the center bolt on the left side fairing, plenty of room and easy to get to :beerchug:

Take an allen wrench and weld it to the screw. Then pick up the bike (works best if you can get it over your head) and spin the bike.

Screw will come right out. :beerchug:

save yourself some money and just hammer a allen wrench into it, once in there should be enuff to turn it.

screw extractor brought it right out, thanks guys :beerchug:

Back