Ok, weird topic...Colon Cleanse

BUSA_CHeMiST

Donating Member
Registered
Ok,
So we are all family and I will ask this here, openly, without MUCH embarrasment.

I have recently been researching colon cleansing methods (natural, herbal, COLONICS, etc.) and trying to determine what would be the best for my situation.

I am 26 y/o, AVID weightlifter, very healthy diet (when im on my diet) and I have suffered from constipation since i was a baby. Most of the symptoms I have found from people who have turned to colon cleansing match my symptoms to a "T" (i will refrain from going into the symptoms).

So i turn to the ORG members....Has anyone here ever been in a similar situation as mine and turned to coln cleansing? What did you use? How did it work?

Some of the things I am dealing with are the bloating, constipation, "pooch belly" (not FAT) regardless of how much I train and workout, trouble sleeping, gas pains, etc.

I drink over a gallon of water a day and take in PLENTY of fiber so I feel like I need to try another more drastic approach!

Sorry if this offends anyone, but I am getting semi desperate here....
Here is a link to some stuff I am thinkin about trying. It's received some pretty rave reviews online.
COLONIX-Click Here

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Honestly I did research myself on this and most are scams. Drinking alot of water is always the best. I buy green tea (diet) and drink alot of water and it cleans you out and is alot cheaper. Eating Greens for a few days, helps too.

You might need to go in to the doctor also. I watched a show about a guy that had the same problems, he went to the doctor and was told nothing was wrong until blood started coming out, then the doctor said it was hemroids, he finally found out he had Colon cancer. He made a full recovery but was lucky. He was a health nut, avid swimmer and ate really well too.

I bought a gallon of homemade apple cider at a tractor show last week and drank 2 glasses WOW worked for me. I m thinking it s not what your talking about but I felt less bloated after that.

You might need to go in to the doctor also. I watched a show about a guy that had the same problems, he went to the doctor and was told nothing was wrong until blood started coming out, then the doctor said it was hemroids, he finally found out he had Colon cancer. He made a full recovery but was lucky. He was a health nut, avid swimmer and ate really well too.

Thanks for the info FATE.

My grandfather died of Colon Cancer, so that thought has always been in the back of my mind, even though i have never wanted to come to terms with it. I've had blood work done a few times in the last few years (long since the problem has been around) with no anomalies in the blood work.

Guess its never too early for a Colonoscopy.

My brother uses a fasting method to cleanse. He fasts for a day, only drinking water. Day 2 he only takes in all natural fruit juices. By day 3, he literally cannot go anywhere that doesnt have him within running distance of a toilet.

Might go ahead and contact my doctor, its time for another check-up!

going to send you to the Ladies forum.. they talk zits, kid ailments and diets.... suppose this one will fit right in....

:rofl:

I have never had a colon cleanse...BUT, Jefferycarman and I knew someone who did one. And the gas that they had did clear out a navy warehouse. That is the only warning I can give. However, before you do one, I would talk to your doctor. See what he has to say. Good luck man!!!

Eat oatmeal. you will have no problems? What is your diet. If you eat a lot of rice, this is a big problem. Actually, doing a colon cleanse will shed some LBS. of undigested u know what! I have done a isagenix cleanse that really helped with getting back on track with your body's ability to naturally burn fat....

PLEASE go to your doctor and have him do a blood test and then get a scan for Carcinoid Syndrome.

If you have not had a scan they might be looking at you thinking you have something like Irritable Bowel Syndrome but believe me you need to have a scan to know.

Carcinoid symptoms are all the same as IBS, with constipation or the runs but if, God forbid, you started to get night sweats or flushing you are on your way to an incurable Carcinoid episode..... ask me how I know!

Please get checked and if your doctor says he's sure you are OK, get another opinion.

Google Carcinoid Syndrome.

Get it checked please.

Mark

My diet consists of the following...
BREAKFAST...
5 eggs for breakfast
-3 egg whites
-2 whole eggs
2 oz. of turkey

LUNCH
8 oz Chicken breast
1/2 cup BROWN rice

DINNER
14-16 oz chicken breast
1/2 cup broccoli

Will have a 50g protein shake around 3 after my workout and another casein protein shake at 9pm before bed to get that slow digesting protein in.

Like I said, eat some oatmeal. You will have no problems. Those shakes can bind you up too. Unless you really have a serious problem.

going to send you to the Ladies forum.. they talk zits, kid ailments and diets.... suppose this one will fit right in....

:rofl:

I was wondering how long it would take you to get in this thread.... I too resisted but was drawn to it like a moth to a flame ...I feel like a victim now..
where is the Imodium? I gotta go the head now.

too many trips to the head, you could look like this :moon:

I was wondering how long it would take you to get in this thread.... I too resisted but was drawn to it like a moth to a flame ...I feel like a victim now..
where is the Imodium? I gotta go the head now.

too many trips to the head, you could look like this :moon:
{{{{must resist comment}}}} I did manage to stay out of the other health, house care threads.... :rofl:

You are not getting anywhere enough fiber in your diet.
check it here:

Metamucil: Your Fiber Toolkit (Fiber Tools and Resources)

If you increase it to what it should be I suspect you will not have any problems.
If the food doesn't have ROOTS, or come off of a plant, it has no fiber. Zero.
I was a vegetarian (100% fiber) for 20 years and have slowly come back to chicken and fish. It is really hard to get enough fiber.
My dad died of colon cancer and my brother has polyps and so do I.
This can kill you every bit as dead as our bikes.
I take this suppliment to augment what my diet lacks:

Metamucil: Psyllium Dietary Fiber Supplement—a Healthy Choice

No joke, fiber up and you will be OK.

From that chart you are getting 2.6 grams of fiber from the broccolli, and 1.8 grams from the rice.
Total: 4.4 grams.
From the chart, you need 38 grams fo fiber so you are about 33.5 grams short.
Your body is giving you a good wake-up call.
It doesn't like what you are feeding it.

Hey Jerry!

Since I had my gastric bypass I too have SUFFERED from this same problem. I take the maximum daily dosage of Colace, plus my vitamins have something similar in them. I have to FORCE myself to drink water. Green tea (the real stuff, not just green tea flavored drink) helps.

Some suggestions from my Bariatric Surgeon, who is a very intelligent one I have to add:
Grape Nuts Cereal 1/2 Cup twice a day
Grape Juice that is 100% Juice
Raw Veggies for roughage
As much water as you can possibly drink

MIRALAX - I used to have to get it by prescription but it is now over the counter. Out of all the products out there that you can make a drink out of or stir in a drink this one is the best as far as consistency change.

I do FEEL your pain! I will refrain from an awfully embarrassing disgusting story, but will say this. Ultrasound on your abdomal area seems to work like wonders. Like a Colon BLAST...Lol. I know this from obstetric ultrasounds.

Good Luck and PM me if you want info, because I am like the Queen of dealing with this and have more info from Surgeon.

A cut and paste from:

Quackwatch

The importance of "regularity" to overall health has been greatly overestimated for thousands of years. Ancient Egyptians associated feces with decay and used enemas and laxatives liberally. In more recent times, this concern has been embodied in the concept of "autointoxication" and has been promoted by warnings against "irregularity." [1]

The theory of "autointoxication" states that stagnation of the large intestine (colon) causes toxins to form that are absorbed and poison the body. Some proponents depict the large intestine as a "sewage system" that becomes a "cesspool" if neglected. Other proponents state that constipation causes hardened feces to accumulate for months (or even years) on the walls of the large intestine and block it from absorbing or eliminating properly. This, they say, causes food to remain undigested and wastes from the blood to be reabsorbed by the body [2].

Around the turn of the twentieth century many physicians accepted the concept of autointoxication, but it was abandoned after scientific observations proved it wrong. In 1919 and 1922, it was clearly demonstrated that symptoms of headache, fatigue, and loss of appetite that accompanied fecal impaction were caused by mechanical distension of the colon rather than by production or absorption of toxins [3,4]. Moreover, direct observation of the colon during surgical procedures or autopsies found no evidence that hardened feces accumulate on the intestinal walls.

Today we know that most of the digestive process takes place in the small intestine, from which nutrients are absorbed into the body. The remaining mixture of food and undigested particles then enters the large intestine, which can be compared to a 40-inch-long hollow tube. Its principal functions are to transport food wastes from the small intestine to the rectum for elimination and to absorb minerals and water. Careful observations have shown that the bowel habits of healthy individuals can vary greatly. Although most people have a movement daily, some have several movements each day, while others can go several days or even longer with no adverse effects.

The popular diet book Fit for Life (1986) is based on the notion that when certain foods are eaten together, they "rot," poison the system, and make the person fat. To avoid this, the authors recommend that fats, carbohydrates and protein foods be eaten at separate meals, emphasizing fruits and vegetables because foods high in water content can "wash the toxic waste from the inside of the body" instead of "clogging" the body. These ideas are utter nonsense [5].

Some chiropractors, naturopaths, and assorted food faddists claim that "death begins in the colon" and that "90 percent of all diseases are caused by improperly working bowels." The practices they recommend include fasting, periodic "cleansing" of the intestines, and colonic irrigation.
Fasting is said to "rejuvenate" the digestive organs, increase elimination of "toxins, and "purify" the body."
Cleansing" can be accomplished with a variety of "natural" laxative products.
Colonic irrigation is performed by passing a rubber tube through the rectum. Some proponents have advocated that the tube be inserted as much as 30 inches. Warm water—often 20 gallons or more—is pumped in and out through the tube, a few pints at a time, to wash out the contents of the large intestine. (An ordinary enema uses about a quart of fluid.) Some practitioners add herbs, coffee, enzymes, wheat or grass extract, or other substances to the enema solution.

The Total Health Connection and Canadian Natural Health and Healing Center Web sites provide more details of proponents' claims. The latter states that "there is only one cause of disease—toxemia" and offers "the most comprehensive in-depth colon therapy on the continent." The course costs $985 for 5 days of in-clinic training or $295 by correspondence.

Some "alternative" practitioners make bogus diagnoses of "parasites," for which they recommend "intestinal cleansers," plant enzymes, homeopathic remedies. Health-food stores sell products of this type with claims that they can "rejuvenate" the body and kill the alleged invaders.

The danger of these practices depends upon how much they are used and whether they are substituted for necessary medical care. Whereas a 1-day fast is likely to be harmless (though useless), prolonged fasting can be fatal. "Cleansing" with products composed of herbs and dietary fiber is unlikely to be physically harmful, but the products involved can be expensive. Some people have reported expelling large amounts of what they claim to be feces that have accumulated on he intestinal wall. However, experts believe these are simply "casts" formed by the fiber contained in the "cleansing" products.

Although laxative ads warn against "irregularity," constipation should be defined not by the frequency of movements but by the hardness of the stool. Ordinary constipation usually can be remedied by increasing the fiber content of the diet, drinking adequate amounts of water, and engaging in regular exercise. If the bowel is basically normal, dietary fiber increases the bulk of the stool, softens it, and speeds transit time. Defecating soon after the urge is felt also can be helpful because if urges are ignored, the rectum may eventually stop signaling when defecation is needed. Stimulant laxatives (such as cascara or castor oil) can damage the nerve cells in the colon wall, decreasing the force of contractions and increasing the tendency toward constipation. Thus, people who take strong laxatives whenever they "miss a movement" may wind up unable to move their bowels without them. Frequent enemas can also lead to dependence [6]. A doctor should be consulted if constipation persists or represents a significant change in bowel pattern.

Colonic irrigation, which also can be expensive, has considerable potential for harm. The process can be very uncomfortable, since the presence of the tube can induce severe cramps and pain. If the equipment is not adequately sterilized between treatments, disease germs from one person's large intestine can be transmitted to others. Several outbreaks of serious infections have been reported, including one in which contaminated equipment caused amebiasis in 36 people, 6 of whom died following bowel perforation [7-9]. Cases of heart failure (from excessive fluid absorption into the bloodstream) and electrolyte imbalance have also been reported [10]. Direct rectal perforation has also been reported [11]. Yet no license or training is required to operate a colonic-irrigation device. In 1985, a California judge ruled that colonic irrigation is an invasive medical procedure that may not be performed by chiropractors and the California Health Department's Infectious Disease Branch stated: "The practice of colonic irrigation by chiropractors, physical therapists, or physicians should cease. Colonic irrigation can do no good, only harm." The National Council Against Health Fraud agrees [12].
Legal Action

The FDA classifies colonic irrigation systems as Class III devices that cannot be legally marketed except for medically indicated colon cleansing (such as before a radiologic endoscopic examination). No system has been approved for "routine" colon cleansing to promote the general well being of a patient. Since 1997, the agency has issued at least seven warning letters related to colon therapy."

cheers
ken

Back