OK to remove actual pillow baffle (not just silencer insert) from Yoshi?

Lucid

Registered
I got a pretty good deal on a Yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber full race exhaust for my gen II. However, it's just too quiet. I had a megaphone on my gen I and I loved the low, throaty sound. The Yosh doesn't have a silencer to take out (because it's the race version?). The only way I can make it louder is to remove some or all of the actual pillow baffle. (Or cut and shorten the can, which I don't want to do.)

1) Has anyone drilled out the rivets, pulled the pillow baffle, and ran the exhaust like that? In theory, it doesn't sound much different than a straight pipe or a megaphone.

2) Does anyone know if the carbon can will be okay without a pillow baffle? Slightly worried about the extra heat without a pillow baffle. Thanks.

I'll get the ECU tuned after, btw.

I did this to my TWO BROS long slips. drilled the rivets on both ends, slid out the internals,i removed almost all the packing. left just a light one wrap around in to keep it from sounding open and tinny. worked great. not as loud as a open pipe. even with all the packing removed, it wont be as loud as a open pipe as there is still baffles in there. I have also slid in a section of car muffler exhaust pipe about half the length of the pipe. it helps bypass half the muffler. that will get the open loud sound but I didn't like that

Will work great if you love brown and burnt carbon fiber. Yoshi recommends repacking the cans every 7-10K or so to prevent the carbon fiber from being burnt. I know a guy who has a S1000RR with a carbon Akropovic exhaust he has never repacked and it's the ugliest exhaust I've ever seen.

Now, for some, appearance does not matter if that's you by all means go for it. Just seems a shame to ruin such an expensive and sharp looking piece of kit.

Also, there should be no need to retune if you do this, the race R77s are a straight through exhaust anyway and your cat provides the most restriction. If you already have a header it will not make a difference either.

Nothing quiet like throwing out the window all the R and D from a manufacturer for sound . You should of bought the R55 then .

Also, there should be no need to retune if you do this, the race R77s are a straight through exhaust anyway and your cat provides the most restriction. If you already have a header it will not make a difference either.

Just reread your post and if it's the full Yoshimura exhaust, a retune will definitely give you gains. I thought you were talking about slip ones. What I said about burning it up still applies.

Thanks for the replies.

@E Zurcher I thought the extra heat might be a problem. Looks like I'll keep an eye out for a Brock's street meg or similar exhaust.

@c10, I understand the R&D point. I got a good deal on the exhaust (much cheaper than Brock's) so I thought I would give it a shot. It ended up being quieter than I like. Some people love the fact that Yoshi gives you the gains without being too loud. I loved the street meg on my Gen I and would like a similar sound on my Gen II.

Also on the R&D point, there's no guarantee that the R-77 with the baffle removed won't produce more power after a tune than with it in. But it's definitely not worth ruining the (gorgeous) carbon fiber.

Back