OK, TIRES V3.0  Is your Gauge accurate?

Revlis

Re-Recycled, Busa-Less...
Donating Member
Registered
Let me tell you about my tire pressure over the last couple of months.

Yeah Raider certainly Remembers all of my grousing about not feeling "IT" out in the twisties over the last couple of months, that I was just feeling "OFF"? Well I found out why.

I bought an air compressor a few months ago. And I bought a brand new Gas Station style nozzle for airing up my tires. Now I know better than to trust the Built in air guage at the gas stations, but this one is a brand new CRAFTSMAN, so it's accurate...right? I figured it could be trusted, it's brand new out of the box.

So Last friday there was a thread about dropping tire pressure below the recommended 42PSI front and rear. I sorta went off and called BS to WWJD and others who were advocating it. But I relented and said "Fair enough, lemme try it myself.

Anyhoo, I have been going off the built in guage on the nozzle for the last couple months, then Saturday, I get out there to drop my pressures and go ride a familiar route, report what I find. This time though I check my tire pressure with my digital guage. Guess what, <span style='color:red'>51 PSI Front (COLD), 50 PSI Rear (COLD)</span> These are cold readings mind you. So basically, I have been out in the twisties with Raiderdm on tires running at a minimum 10 PSI high... No freakin wonder I wasn't "feeling it". Having been running my tires this grossly over-inflated for so long I certainly no longer felt qualified to say a damn thing about anyone elses tire pressure choices.

However, I did drop the front to 40 and the rear to 38 PSI. I suddenly feel like I know how to ride again, seriously I was starting to wonder if I was loosing it... Both of my cornering scares were while them tires were ROCK hard... so, I am digging all of this newfound stability and traction and suddenly I am having fun again... It's messed up, I am going to take that nozzle back and swap it out, hopefully I will get a more accurate one this time, but I will be checking them my digital guage anyway. So I don't think I have lost it after all.... I was just running tires that were about 10lbs over inflated for the last couple of months... NOT GOOD...

So Last new thread for the night, Thanks for listening, Have a good one.

Rev

Holy crapoly, Rev, that had to be a BUMPY RIDE AT 50! I'm sure the tire can take it, but you can't!
smile.gif
Glad you found the err before it err'd you, man! I bought a $4 pen sized PSI checker from some harware store and over time compared it to two analog and two digitals and it was perfect tween all of them. Just got lucky. On the flip side I juiced my tires back up to 42 last weekend to see what I thought after being on 36-38 for so long and it rode better, bounced less and felt more stable [low pressure is like riding on gummy bear tires] and had no slippage at all from my Diablos. Come track day next Thursday I'll be dropping them 8 - 10 like they recommend. For the summer I keep PSI up, but in teh cold and winter, some twistie runs, I drop it for better contact... milage be damned!! hahahhhaa

Now let me ask this: if 42 is max for busa, do you think the tire expands enough to reduce the contact patch EVEN MORE at 50?? or is the air just 'tighter'?

Wow, what a difference tire pressure can make! I had overinflated my car tires once and it drove like crap, particularly in the bad weather (just wouldn't stop). I think you got lucky and found out now Rev, before getting caught in a downpour..

I bought a digital about 3 years ago. The only way to go and the only one I trust.

Holy crapoly, Rev, that had to be a BUMPY RIDE AT 50!  I'm sure the tire can take it, but you can't!  
smile.gif
 Glad you found the err before it err'd you, man!  I bought a $4  pen sized PSI checker from some harware store and over time compared it to two analog and two digitals and it was perfect tween all of them.  Just got lucky.  On the flip side I juiced my tires back up to 42 last weekend to see what I thought after being on 36-38 for so long and it rode better, bounced less and felt more stable [low pressure is like riding on gummy bear tires] and had no slippage at all from my Diablos. Come track day next Thursday I'll be dropping them 8 - 10 like they recommend.  For the summer I keep PSI up, but in teh cold and winter, some twistie runs, I drop it for better contact...  milage be damned!!  hahahhhaa

Now let me ask this:  if 42 is max for busa, do you think the tire expands enough to reduce the contact patch EVEN MORE at 50??  or is the air just 'tighter'?
I am pretty sure your tires just loose a lot of there flexibility, get all hard...

It sucked, but now it feels a whole lot better...

Dis mean I'll see you on Sunday Rev?
I am hoping But, I managed to get till monday now on my project so if I get a whole lot done Thursday and Saturday Yes I'll see you Sunday AM.

Did you get my PM regarding Longbow coming down and Friday night? Maybe you could take him out Saturday and run him around the hills for awhile?

Anyone recommend a good pressure gauge for the Busa? Brand/Model, cost?

gauge must:
1. be accurate
2. actually fit under the monster ass brake discs!
3. preferably be digital

Thanks in advance

Anyone recommend a good pressure gauge for the Busa? Brand/Model, cost?

gauge must:
1. be accurate
2. actually fit under the monster ass brake discs!
3. preferably be digital

Thanks in advance
AccuGuage;it isn't digital but it has a hose to help get it into tight spots,and a pressure release valve so you can get the pressure purrrfect(even fractions of a pound).i think it was about $15

Hey Rev, have you tried dropping your pressure yet?  That's track riding there.  Tires heat up quick, bake, melt, bead up, stick like gummy bears and steer alot different.  But that assumes you are on a track with no pavement changes, potholes, seams, rocks, sand, dead squirrels etc.  You really should check into a free track day!  You might discover you have never REALLY played hard.  Words cannot explain the fun... don't get me started talking or I won't stop.   Oracle??  
biggrin.gif

[nudge nudge wink wink]

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081870259 -->

Back