OK Straight Talk on Metzler Sportec M1s

Revlis

Re-Recycled, Busa-Less...
Donating Member
Registered
OK, after having sat through a two hour Metzler school and getting my free Hoody, I have this to say.

All Metzler tires according to the Metzler Rep are sized exactly. So a 190 is going to measure 190, and a 200 will be a 200. P spec or no P spec refered to a compound variation, sidewall stiffness and little else didn't hear about additional belts and the tires weigh the same also so... I dunno...

Good news Though?

Great news is that the <span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:orangered'>NEW Sportec M3</span></span>is coming and offers much improved Wet and dry traction and an increase of about 50% in tread life. HOW? Via Long string Carbon and some other chemical voodoo at Metzler. The M1 will be repositioned as their (Budget) performance tire and the M3 is going to be taking over the throne. By all accounts it is going to stomp the hell outta the M1 and of course Slipstone and Dunflop. The Frog tire is still a great tire but wears about twice as fast without a bonus in grip and feel.

New Sportec M3's should be here in 190s in time for spring. 120 fronts should be here allready as well as 180's. What this means is we have a far superior tire coming soon for just a little more money, and if your happy with the M1 it's going to continue in production unchanged
thumbs-up.gif

No Kidding...

Not being a #### Moondog, just thought I'd better get it out before folks spend money and just miss out on a great new tire.

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137656282 -->

From Metzlers Website. SportecM3

The new bike models in the Supersport segment have reached a level of performance that allows us to genuinely say “Race replica bikesâ€￾: power has increased and Manufacturers have worked on reducing weight too, reaching a power to weight ratio close to 1. This was unimaginable until only a few years ago for a standard production bike.

Riders are now more sports oriented and looking to exploit the real potential of their bike.

This hunt for performance works together with the search for a tyre that provides good mileage and ensures good behavior throughout its life.

This was the starting point for Metzeler’s engineers, working with the purpose of producing a tyre setting new boundaries for sports riding and also for the occasional track day, but at the same moment assuring safety in wet conditions and impressive great mileage with consistent performance throughout its whole life.

A different compound between the front and rear tyre for the best trajectory precision and stability, assures outstanding grip and good feeling to better face every situation and every angle of lean.

The combination of front and rear contour has been engineered to offer a perfect behaviour of the bike in every condition thanks to CMT (Contour Modelling Technology).

The result is increased stability and speed, entering into corners with high confidence. The linearity when leaning assures precision and stability supporting full power acceleration out of corners.

The new profile goes with a new tread pattern with a modern look and designed to make important improvements. The land/sea ratio is designed to maximize dry grip guaranteeing a good feeling in wet conditions and reducing aquaplaning.

The balance among the different construction elements and this research of optimization didn’t forget tread pattern wear and mileage. A uniform wear of the tyre maintains high performance and a confidence inspiring overall riding sensation both on normal roads or pushing on the racetrack.

The patented zero degree steel belt is settled to make the bike more stable, keeping a perfect trajectory, avoiding the tendency to right itself even when braking into the corner. This improves the confidence of the rider in every condition.

The elements of strength of this tyre are:

- Dry grip & handling

- Wet performance

- Mileage

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137656537 -->

Awesome Rev, Thanks for the input. I will be trying their Racetec K2's at the track for racing the new Gixxer this year. The M1's are the bomb so these should be sweet too.

Only thing I differ on is the measurements. I measured the factory tire and the (P) spec and they both measured out to about 198. So something's up there.
rock.gif

rock.gif
Hrmm, One thing I've learned is never trust anyone. So why would I be surprised. But I asked the question VERY specifically in regards to Actual VS Listed Tire width. Answer I got was the As marked.
sad.gif

Ah well, after listening to the guy in regards to the Sportec M3's and watching and reading the materials presented I will be getting a new set of M3's next. Should be about the perfect Busa tire, wet grip was supposed to be improved dramatically.

Leaves me to wonder why the tech dude I spoke with last night didn't even mention the new M3? Maybe cause it's not out yet....I dunno but will be watching and waiting for the new tire to emerge. If it's better then the M1, it will be on my busa.

looks kind of like the mich powers, I think I like it, need to see it in person.

not as much of a curve as the powers, but similar tread pattern
cool.gif

According to motorcycledaily, the M1's will also drop in price by 26% iirc. I'll keep running them if they're THAT cheap!
wow.gif

I notice that parts411.com have dropped the price of their M1 to around 100 and the M3 lists for around price as pilot poweras at 145. Need you guys to try those M3 out before April so know if they worth getting before Bash

So does the M3 have a "P" option that is supposed to be for the Busa? And where besides parts411.com do you guys look for tires?

Talked with http://www.subcycles.com/ today they have the 120 and 180 M3's in stock!!. They say the 190 will be released tomorrow Jan 20th.

Here's the email I got back:

"I have the 120's and 180's in stock but the 190 is not yet available from my distributor.

According to the distributor website the 190 is supposed to be released tomorrow Jan-20. This date sometimes slips or the tires might be first released in the NY or TX warehouses which means 4 days before UPS gets it here to SF."

Hey, after my 2-day weekend track days I will prolly need a new set of treads. These sound like a good upgrade. Even if I am strapped for cash I can just stay with the M1s since they are cheaper now.

Back