OK...somebody 'splain this to me

Willie G

Registered
You know how it is when you buy a used bike - you spend a lot of time trying to figure stuff out that may or may not be like it was from the factory.

So, when I got my Busa with 16k, I noticed the front brakes seemed VERY spongy.  The bike stopped OK, but definitely NOT confidence inspiring.  Those SS lines were moving to the top of my to-do list.

Today, I'm sitting at the gas station while a buddy fills up.  I decide to see what the difference is between "6" on the lever is and "1".  I noticed the lever moving further away - no big deal.  Then I decide to check the feel - OMG!!!  I have a super firm front brake now!  Rode about 100 miles - wonderful brakes!

What changed???    
rock.gif

Changing the lever position in your hand is changing the feel; you are grabing more brake because it seems like you have to pull more to get your hand in the same position that it used to go into relative to the grip.

If you still have the rubber lines, once you get use to the new feel with your levers in the correct position for you. You'll notice the spongy feeling again that Only Steel or kelvar lines can change, and what  
SHOCKED.gif
a change they make
tounge.gif

Be careful applying the brake specially during defensive driving situations. You'll have a higher chance of the front washing out due to the new position.

(Projekt @ Oct. 29 2006,19:42) Be careful applying the brake specially during defensive driving situations. You'll have a higher chance of the front washing out due to the new position.
I'm not sure I understand...could you elaborate?

I agree, braided hoses are a must and change the stock pads. I currently use Ferodo carbon. Not sure how long they will last but they certainly work well. I have also upgraded to DOT 5 fluid.

Back