Ok...so i'm thinkin of somethin new

I love my Vemar CF helmet!! Its soo light.
biggrin.gif

But be advised, its very noisey. Definately not a touring helmet.

And the back is raised up, which I like because my old helmet used to get hung up on the collar of my jacket. But since the Vemar back side is higher, it doesn't get hung up when I'm twisting my neck around in the twisties!!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Paul -

I have the Vemar Carbon fiber and I love it...

Really light, comfortable... if you can afford one get it.. at least I am happy with it..

Hi, I've researched some on shark helmet too, first top of the line is "bongo" but since its french product and chin guard is too high (some people like that style) to see the low part of the vision. Is my first ques and accessory on the parts are not available... sheilds and etc.
So, I come down to x-11 or spec 1r I'm still thinkin...
"Bongo"? Sorry...don't think I quite understood what you were sayin.

If you're lookin for somethin about the X-11 or the Spec1-R, they both flow air really well. Cool designs, too...but I think Suomy edges out the Shoei in that regard.

Both have great quality. I've wrecked in a lower-end model Shoei, and it held up fine. I'd use 'em again. I havenb't heard anything bad about the Suomy, so I wouldn't have any probs trusting them either.

Hope this helps ya.
wink.gif

Greetings,

Have you looked into the HJC CL-MAX? Just picked one up from new enough. Nice helmet, not a lot of money.

Has the flip up front for a little air when stopped. Shield rasies and lowers and has a real nice vent in front.

I wanted a kick around helmet. My Shoei is for show off nights.

hogger...
I've heard of 'em, but I've heard mixed reviews about 'em too. Some people say that they're awesome...others say that the quality and worksmanship were definitely in question.

In terms of $$$, I don't really wanna put a price limit on the helmets...seein as it is my head...and I kinda value it, ya know? But good lord...a rich man I'm not. I may hafta sell a kidney or something.

I'll look more into the HJC line. If anything, I may end up gettin another Suomy if all else fails.

I have a HJC . Air flow dosen't even exist .......think the vents are just for looks . And the visor won't hardly stay up . But hey , it was CHEAP !
tounge.gif

Suomy bro Extreme
Yeah...the Extremes are friggin sweet, bro. I may end up gettin another one if I don't see anything that catches my fancy.

Ya gotta do a review of your Extreme when you get it out there, homie. I know we've heard reviews of them before, but I wouldn't mind hearin them again.

Paul...I understand your concern with the Arai's, but have you ever been "properly" fitted by a trained Arai rep?  Arai has quite a few different shell shapes to accomodate the diverse head shapes around the world.  Plus, the interior lining can be ordered with custom thicknesses for the top insert and cheek pads.  This doesn't add any cost if done when you initially order, and you can always order different pads later if needed.

I'm not trying to sway your decision over to Arai.  Just trying to make sure you have all the information to make an informed decision.

Good Luck
cool.gif
yah...I would actually love to try out an Arai, but we ain't got no dealers for them here. Don't even think about the stealerships...they suck something bad. Reeeeaaal bad.

One of them sells the knockoff G-Max helmets for near $300 and has the mentality that: "it's a helmet, the brand don't really matter." Sheesh.

The other one sells Scorpion helmets, and everthing else has to be "special order". Somehow, I'm not suprised.

All in all, I'd love to try one, but it just doesn't seem like I'll be able to work something out. Damn.

I know you dont like ICON...but I like to raise my post count and put in my .02.  I have a big noggin and the 2XL ICON Hooligan fit kinda tight at first but now it fits perfect. It is light and moves air pretty good. They also have some pretty nice designs at a pretty nice price (200-360). Pretty good chocie of extra parts (shields, cheek pads etc). It dosnt move around alot at high speeds. I have a HJC that is pretty comfy but at higher speed it moves too much. It is also not so good on noise...but for 160 or so what can you really expect. I do want a Shoei next though....I am in love with the Picotte..just have to save a bit of $$ before I jump on that.
Well, it's not really that I don't like ICON. I don't know what it is...I just don't wanna get one. The girlie has one...damn sweet helmet. Hell, that thing had a better finish to it than my old TZ-1 Shogun.

In regards to the Shoei, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. The Picotte is a RF-1000....and those are arguably one of the best helmets you can get for the money.

I've owned a bunch of shoei's and a few arai's and "THIS"...

EXO1.jpg

EXO2.jpg

EXO3.jpg

EXO4.jpg

EXO5.jpg

was the best $199 I ever spent...and I'll never pi$$ $400-$600 away on a lid ever again as long as they still keep making them.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Arai...you just need the RIGHT Arai. What is your head shape? Is it round? Oval? Ellipsoid? I thought I would never have an Arai helmet since everything always seemed to be on the small side and pinched me at the temples...until I found the right helmet. In fact, I had been wearing cheap DOT only rated junk helmets because they were the only thing I could find in XXXL or XXXXL to fit my big pumpkin. What am I wearing now? Arai Astral-X...size XXL. It is very similar in fit to the Shoei RF1000 but with a slightly more round interior. Wouldn't trade it for the world...
Again, the Arai is something that I'd love to try, but I can't get my hands on them.
sad.gif

Head shape is a reverse egg. Guy at the sunglass outlet said I have a "pronounced jawline". Haha...I think the fugger just called me a meathead in a nice way.

The way you describe it, it sounds like an Arai might be a comfy helmet.

Well i have an Icon Damnation and an Icon Mainframe and for price, airflow and design i find them hard to beat. Especially with some of the deals Newenough offers on them at times.
smile.gif

I also like the Suomy designes but refuse to spend the type of cash they want  
cussing.gif
Icon helmets are alright, and they're priced pretty good. Just don't know why I wouldn't really wanna get one.

Soumy is pricey, yes...but to sum it up? I'd feel more comfortable in a Suomy or a Shoei than I would in an Icon.

Arai...you just need the RIGHT Arai. What is your head shape? Is it round? Oval? Ellipsoid? I thought I would never have an Arai helmet since everything always seemed to be on the small side and pinched me at the temples...until I found the right helmet. In fact, I had been wearing cheap DOT only rated junk helmets because they were the only thing I could find in XXXL or XXXXL to fit my big pumpkin. What am I wearing now? Arai Astral-X...size XXL. It is very similar in fit to the Shoei RF1000 but with a slightly more round interior. Wouldn't trade it for the world...
Again, the Arai is something that I'd love to try, but I can't get my hands on them.
sad.gif

Head shape is a reverse egg. Guy at the sunglass outlet said I have a "pronounced jawline". Haha...I think the fugger just called me a meathead in a nice way.

The way you describe it, it sounds like an Arai might be a comfy helmet.
Sorry...but I just hafta say this...and please remember that this is JMPO...but...arai's sux...I'll never buy one again...for one simple reason that arai just refuses to address...the visor system sux...I'd just as soon gut a live cat with a nail file as swap out the visor on an arai helmet...they blow....outsdie of that?...they're a damn good lid...and therein lies the irony.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I have a Shark and an ICON helmet.  I love the shark.  My brother has a Shoei, when comparing them the shark feels just a tad bit heavier (I wear an XL and my bro wears a M) but its so close you can barely tell.  The shark fits tight around my head (feels like a L instead of an XL) but its not bad.  The shield locking mechanism is awesome, just press a button and the shield comes off, press it again and it goes back on.  I just got it in the winter so I don't know how well it vents but in 30 degree weather, no fog on the shield.

Shark RSF 2 Race Nexus paid $320.00
And I don't want to hear about the furry blanket in the background, keeps me warm.  
smile.gif

P1010019.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010017.jpg

I will say that the ICON is a great helmet too.  It really surprised me.  It fits tight and its light as well.  The helmet also vents really well.  I would wear both and see what you like, price wise too the ICON is a great choice.
HMMM.....now we're cookin with gas!

RSF-2, eh? I was lookin at the RSR...Shark's top of the line, if I remember correctly.

Interesting furry blankets aside, tell me more about it. I'd like to know.
smile.gif
Fit? Comfort levels? Buffeting? Neck position and fatigue (if applicable)? Visibility? Worksmanship?

smile.gif

Arai and Suomy definately cater best to oval heads.  Even the Arai's round helmets are not that round IMO.

Buget helmets that might fit your head?

Here are a few reviews...
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/scorpion/
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/cl-sp/
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/hjc-cl-14.htm
yup. Been there, done that. I didn't look at the Scorpion review...but I'll prolyl hunker down an take a peek at the HJC. I'm willing to spend a pretty penny on a helmet, but justifying it is the hard thing.

Like the $895 Vemar. Yowzers.

Back