Ok...so i'm thinkin of somethin new

PACIFICBUSA

The Shaver Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
I'm lookin into some helmets...and it's a darn shame that the high prices aren't avoidable. This stuff is gettin mighty pricey.

If possible, I'd like to get reviews from the folks that have them. Real-life, honest reviews. My choices are limited (self-imposed) to the following:

Shark
AGV
Vemar (although I prolly won't be able to afford it)
another Suomy (last resort)

I don't wanna spring for a Shoei. Already have one on the way and I've owned two prior to this third one.

Have a Suomy, but gonna sell it to get the new helmet. Too bad...I was really startin to like the helmet.

Don't wanna get an Icon. Dunno why. Just don't wanna get one.

Count me out on the Arai's. Head shape just won't work with 'em.

Considering the AGV's....I'm wondering if they're worth it. Only gripe against them is that I remember reading somewhere that the riders who crashed in them had the highest probability for concussions. That's not too good, as I already have had three.

Anyone have any word on the Shark helmets? I was wondering if I should pull the trigger on one, but I wanted to hear how they vented and stuff. Quality and such. Definitely want to know more as the model I'm lookin at is in the $600 price range.

So yeah...that's what I'm thinkin. Anyone?

Hi, I've researched some on shark helmet too, first top of the line is "bongo" but since its french product and chin guard is too high (some people like that style) to see the low part of the vision. Is my first ques and accessory on the parts are not available... sheilds and etc.
So, I come down to x-11 or spec 1r I'm still thinkin...

Greetings,

Have you looked into the HJC CL-MAX? Just picked one up from new enough. Nice helmet, not a lot of money.

Has the flip up front for a little air when stopped. Shield rasies and lowers and has a real nice vent in front.

I wanted a kick around helmet. My Shoei is for show off nights.

hogger...

117_1775.JPG

Like the new shoei helmet. saw one yesterday looks sweet wonder if they have one in black and red.

Like the new shoei helmet.  saw one yesterday looks sweet wonder if they have one in black and red.
I'm sure you can find one. That is a recent color. I was lucky to find this one. 03 colors, 47% off and brand new. They sold out in one day.

Check oneidasuzuki.com for prices on a red/black.

hogger...

Paul...I understand your concern with the Arai's, but have you ever been "properly" fitted by a trained Arai rep? Arai has quite a few different shell shapes to accomodate the diverse head shapes around the world. Plus, the interior lining can be ordered with custom thicknesses for the top insert and cheek pads. This doesn't add any cost if done when you initially order, and you can always order different pads later if needed.

I'm not trying to sway your decision over to Arai. Just trying to make sure you have all the information to make an informed decision.

Good Luck
cool.gif

I know you dont like ICON...but I like to raise my post count and put in my .02. I have a big noggin and the 2XL ICON Hooligan fit kinda tight at first but now it fits perfect. It is light and moves air pretty good. They also have some pretty nice designs at a pretty nice price (200-360). Pretty good chocie of extra parts (shields, cheek pads etc). It dosnt move around alot at high speeds. I have a HJC that is pretty comfy but at higher speed it moves too much. It is also not so good on noise...but for 160 or so what can you really expect. I do want a Shoei next though....I am in love with the Picotte..just have to save a bit of $$ before I jump on that.

Arai...you just need the RIGHT Arai. What is your head shape? Is it round? Oval? Ellipsoid? I thought I would never have an Arai helmet since everything always seemed to be on the small side and pinched me at the temples...until I found the right helmet. In fact, I had been wearing cheap DOT only rated junk helmets because they were the only thing I could find in XXXL or XXXXL to fit my big pumpkin. What am I wearing now? Arai Astral-X...size XXL. It is very similar in fit to the Shoei RF1000 but with a slightly more round interior. Wouldn't trade it for the world...

+1 You need the RIGHT Arai for your head shape. I haven't found it yet.

+1 Raising post count and co-signing other posts.

Well i have an Icon Damnation and an Icon Mainframe and for price, airflow and design i find them hard to beat. Especially with some of the deals Newenough offers on them at times.
smile.gif

I also like the Suomy designes but refuse to spend the type of cash they want
cussing.gif

I have a Shark and an ICON helmet.  I love the shark.  My brother has a Shoei, when comparing them the shark feels just a tad bit heavier (I wear an XL and my bro wears a M) but its so close you can barely tell.  The shark fits tight around my head (feels like a L instead of an XL) but its not bad.  The shield locking mechanism is awesome, just press a button and the shield comes off, press it again and it goes back on.  I just got it in the winter so I don't know how well it vents but in 30 degree weather, no fog on the shield.

Shark RSF 2 Race Nexus paid $320.00
And I don't want to hear about the furry blanket in the background, keeps me warm.  
smile.gif

P1010019.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010017.jpg

I will say that the ICON is a great helmet too.  It really surprised me.  It fits tight and its light as well.  The helmet also vents really well.  I would wear both and see what you like, price wise too the ICON is a great choice.

<!--EDIT|Youkai
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144853270 -->

Back