ok so I want to add some electronics

Rongotti

Registered
I want to add my battery tender JR, a radar detector, remote start and an alarm. How much can the battery handle though? I have like 5 or 6 things attached to it already.

I am interested in hearing answers on this one also. I plan on doing alarm, radar, HID, cigarette lighter socket, and just bought aftermarket guage faces that I'll have to wire for the lighting....I currently have electric air shifter and pc3 (don't know if pc3 or HID drains anything).

I'd think you'd have to look at how much is going to be pulling power at one time. A battery tender pull no power, ever. An alarm is only pulling when it's armed, when all other things should be off. Radar detector/GPS/etc is what you need to figure out, should be in the paperwork or power cables. I think you'd be surprised at how little some things actually pull.

I'd think you'd have to look at how much is going to be pulling power at one time. A battery tender pull no power, ever. An alarm is only pulling when it's armed, when all other things should be off. Radar detector/GPS/etc is what you need to figure out, should be in the paperwork or power cables. I think you'd be surprised at how little some things actually pull.

Good point! I guess what concerns me with the alarm is a starter kickback issue from it draining the battery :(
I wonder could I set it up like my laptop have my operating system running on one hard drive and everything else on another, put the main pwer supply for the bike on its own battery and all the accessories on a second.

I looked into this issue when I bought some heated clothing.
From what I learned is, the alternator produces around 400-430 watts.
With that information you can itemize your electronics load.
So to run the bike it takes about 300 watts, that would include headlight, electronics, etc.
When you add accessories keep in mind that you have about a 100 watts left to work with.

Hope this helps

i'm kinda curious what the limit is too- right now i have a pc3, alarm,hid,and leds on the beast, i'm about to install some light up kanjis... i'm sure that all this is well within the capability, but how much more could i put on it...hmmm

ugh.... remote start? ??? just want to show off or are ya *that* lazy to go start it the right way :poke: :laugh:

Otherwise, look around there's a few threads floating that discuss all of this, try looking for a user Rhythm, he's done some amazing stereo work and discussed all the ins/outs of the system's capacity as I recall

As already stated you need to see what the load will be and understand that you'll probably not be using all those devices at a given time. Everything but the alarm system should be off when you're not riding. The battery tender would definitely help when the bike sits for long periods with the alarm on.

One suggestion, instead of having so many wires coming off your battery, run another fuse block in your trunk. This will help keep things from getting bunched up on the battery terminals and also add fused protection to each thing you hook up. the only thing that should be straight to the battery would be the fuse block and battery tender.

One suggestion, instead of having so many wires coming off your battery, run another fuse block in your trunk. This will help keep things from getting bunched up on the battery terminals and also add fused protection to each thing you hook up. the only thing that should be straight to the battery would be the fuse block and battery tender.

nice good call :)

The more you do to it the more to go wrong with it....just sayin:whistle:

Back