OK So did I screw it all up?

Hayabusawannabe

Registered
I caught a nail in the rear tire and needed to take the wheel off. I've never done it but it seemed pretty simple and it actually was. The problem is when I put it back on there's a bearing that goes inside the hub on the left side, it popped out and I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be that way and well you can see where this is going. Took it for a short test ride and everything seemed fine till I got back home. While I was coming to a stop I heard *click* *click* click*! I only rode a couple miles so have I done major damage?? I haven't taken it apart again yet just waiting for the weekend.

Bearing? Is it the spacer thingie (short tube)?
Post up photos so we can learn to not make the same mistakes!

Maybe it is a spacer I dunno. I've only attempted tightening the chain twice so yeah maybe it's too tight. I'll take some pix when I have at tearing it appart again.

Yep, you ruined it..

Give me your address, and I'll come pick it up. I'll give you fair scrap prices, just so you feel a little better about it....

:beerchug:

also check the sproket teeth. had a click sound before. found out i was missing teeth but a tight chain will make that sound too

I had the same thing happen. There is a long thread with pics. No the sprocket teeth weren't messed up like some said. It was over tightened chain. Yours might be a different issue but sounds the same.

like others have said its prob the chain too tight making the clicky sound

Alrighty! So had at it today and I'd say the verdict is a tight chain. In the picture what I thought was a bearing is only a spacer. If you look between the swing arm and the wheel you can see it, I thought it was all the way in the wheel before but apparently not. I measured the slack and got 3/4" when pressing down and about 1" pressing up. I dunno if that's correct (probably isn't) but the clicking is gone. :D

Oh yeah those alignment marks are worthless in my opinion.
SN851096_zpsc936201a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup its a spacer and it fell out when I took the wheel off too. When I put it all back together I didnt have any clicky sounds so Im guessing its just chain adjustment. If it was too tight it might have stretched some which would explain no more clicky sound. I would just make sure though that you didnt screw up your chain and rotate the wheel, checking the slack in the chain alll the way along. It is possible that the chain has more slack in some spots and not in others. if this is the case, I would replace the chain.

Stop with the slack measurements..... Just use the lower rubber chain guide as your chain adjustment tension.....
If you look near the front of the swingarm on the bottom you will see a black rubber rectangle shaped block.
You should be able to take the bottom part of the chain and with pressure applied touch this piece.
Rotate the wheel a few times to ensure your chain isnt damaged it feel the same at different parts of the chain.
If you have tight / loose spots replace the chain!! ITS VERY IMPORTANT to properly maintain and adjust your chain properly.

At the moment the chain is pretty much laying on that rubber chain guide thing. I don't remember it being that loose so it must have stretched a bit. This is one of those things where you say "Hasn't somebody come up with a better idea yet?" LOL

When I do my tire, I have a hitch pin instead of cotter pin. Remove it and loosen the nut. tap it lightly as to get it moving out left side of bike (chain side) and moving things around will get the block to come out and let wheel go fwd some as to take chain off sprocket. I don't have to mess with the adjustment settings. Then to put back on just reverse it.. i just stretched my 06 to 8" extended.. looks sweet and still some other items to be done.. good luck..

Turns out the chain was toast! I got 18K miles out of it, still I think these things should last longer. My mechanic says if you get 10K your doing good.

Back