Ok kids, lets talk comm system head sets.

I've been looking into this stuff for a while and autocomm keeps popping up as the one most people end up with after trying several different system. It seems the most vesatile as far as configuration and always works as advertised.:beerchug:

you have to pay the band if you want things to work well.
Autocom is expensive. I just got tired of experimenting and wasting money on things that did not work well.
If you are tired of spending a little money and getting things that don't work well, then step up and buy an autocom system.
You first have to decide what you want a system to do. This determines the price you will have to pay.

Stop being elusive Mister :oldcool: ....what system do "you" run in the Autocom line ?. You're a lot like me, I'll suffer the R&D to get a repair technique or maintenance procedure to run smooth as glass, covering "all" the bases, and then throw it into a thread with all the tricks.

Been putting off getting something for Elena and I, but ipod / stereo, bluetooth at the minimum so I can receive phone on long trips, toggle to my partner or riding companions, and music in between....what does "Uncle" like the best ????......

ok james i see how you are :rofl: just kidding finally got the set up like you have and
now you don't like it but its ok i can hear me just fine on about half volume up to about 100 then i have to turn it up a little

Not to worry Tim, no matter what I have I will still be able to hear you. :beerchug:

scala will do you no good. Get with me and we will come up with a solution.
Stop spending money on things that don't work.
I have been chasing this monkey for many years and now have the answer. It is autocom and yes it is pricey to do all the things it is capable of. We may be able to to find a lower priced option if you want to give up all the options.
I have stepped over dollars to pick up dimes.
Start saving for an autocom system and maybe we can find something to get you by in the meantime.
The set up I have works at any speed, quality music,GPS, cell phone and FRS bike to bike.

I will start saving money now, with any luck I might be able to do something around my birthday. If I do this, I want bike to bike, rider to passenger, and tunes, I dont want phone calls.

I will start saving money now, with any luck I might be able to do something around my birthday. If I do this, I want bike to bike, rider to passenger, and tunes, I dont want phone calls.

I started out with just the FRS, tried to add tunes through a separate set of speakers and ear buds, not a good idea.
When I went to a full system, I found out the cables and PTT were not going to work... more money for cables and blah blah.. it never seemed to end.

If I did it all over... do more research.... get the system which will do everything you will possibly want (expandable). If you want to add to it later you can.
Cap and I had near perfect bike to bike on the 2 week trek this summer.
I had GPS, tunes and bike to bike.
He added phone and XM radio to his system.
I have since added cell phone to mine. XM not my deal now, but if I change my mind someday it is a plug and play setup.

Autocom has the new systems out now and I found an expert on them in Tulsa.
He is the distributor for the 7 state region. He is now setting up a network of dealers and making the whole process less complicated.
i will probably upgrade my system this winter, the new autocom will power my radio from the bike and I will not have to take a battery charger with me on the out of town rides.
:thumbsup:

I started out with just the FRS, tried to add tunes through a separate set of speakers and ear buds, not a good idea.
When I went to a full system, I found out the cables and PTT were not going to work... more money for cables and blah blah.. it never seemed to end.

If I did it all over... do more research.... get the system which will do everything you will possibly want (expandable). If you want to add to it later you can.
Cap and I had near perfect bike to bike on the 2 week trek this summer.
I had GPS, tunes and bike to bike.
He added phone and XM radio to his system.
I have since added cell phone to mine. XM not my deal now, but if I change my mind someday it is a plug and play setup.

Autocom has the new systems out now and I found an expert on them in Tulsa.
He is the distributor for the 7 state region. He is now setting up a network of dealers and making the whole process less complicated.
i will probably upgrade my system this winter, the new autocom will power my radio from the bike and I will not have to take a battery charger with me on the out of town rides.

What setup do you currently have and how do you have it mounted? Thanks :beerchug:

want a little secret? believe it or not if you wear earplugs you can hear much better on high speed. try it! :beerchug:

What setup do you currently have and how do you have it mounted? Thanks :beerchug:

Auto com Active plus, mounted under pass seat. Connected to Zumo 550 for nav and phone and tunes.
Radio can be left under the passenger seat. Battery life on the radio is 12hrs.
Using the Kenwood FRS radio recommended by Autocom, a bit pricey but I am not disappointed. And with the new autocom it can be powered from the bike. It is the only radio I saw with this feature. (so far) I am going to find out if other radios can be powered through the autocom next time I get to Tulsa. You could use a radio with a 12v plug by adding a cig plug under the seat. Kenwood only has an A/C charger.
Check some of the other forums (ST1300 and BMW), the hard core touring people seem to prefer autocom. There are many radios and systems out there, you can chose another radio and save some $$ in that area, or you can spend more and get fancy with an external antenna. I am getting acceptable range. No hard and fast set distance since terrain and the person's radio you are talking to are major factors. If the other person has a weak radio, it will do no good to have 5 mile range if they have 1 mile range.
Again, do research, I do not have all the answers and what works for me may not be for you.
I have used many systems over the years and frankly gave up because they were piss poor and not worth the $$. It bothers me to spend $$ on things that don't work well.
I am willing to spend $$ for a reliable, rugged system which performs well.
Autocom so far fits the bill. Get ready for sticker shock. I said "no way" last year. Changed my mind when other systems did not work.

Auto com Active plus, mounted under pass seat. Connected to Zumo 550 for nav and phone and tunes.
Radio can be left under the passenger seat. Battery life on the radio is 12hrs.
Using the Kenwood FRS radio recommended by Autocom, a bit pricey but I am not disappointed. And with the new autocom it can be powered from the bike. It is the only radio I saw with this feature. (so far) I am going to find out if other radios can be powered through the autocom next time I get to Tulsa. You could use a radio with a 12v plug by adding a cig plug under the seat. Kenwood only has an A/C charger.
Check some of the other forums (ST1300 and BMW), the hard core touring people seem to prefer autocom. There are many radios and systems out there, you can chose another radio and save some $$ in that area, or you can spend more and get fancy with an external antenna. I am getting acceptable range. No hard and fast set distance since terrain and the person's radio you are talking to are major factors. If the other person has a weak radio, it will do no good to have 5 mile range if they have 1 mile range.
Again, do research, I do not have all the answers and what works for me may not be for you.
I have used many systems over the years and frankly gave up because they were piss poor and not worth the $$. It bothers me to spend $$ on things that don't work well.
I am willing to spend $$ for a reliable, rugged system which performs well.
Autocom so far fits the bill. Get ready for sticker shock. I said "no way" last year. Changed my mind when other systems did not work.

Thanks. I have a pair of motorola talkabout T6000 radios and they work pretty good, I have been looking for a way to run them and my iTunes and my TomTom gps. Looks like this may be a possibility. Thanks.

you can use one of these:laugh:

media.nl.jpg

Back