Ok guys, I need help with Juli's bike.

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Not sure what is wrong with it. An 06 Katana 750. Has a whopping 316 miles on her and is running rough. I am going to replace the plugs, but my problem is the throttle control. It hangs up and I cannot set it accurately. The throttle is not crisp, it lags as you increase it and hangs up when you let go of the grip. I dont know what to do. Juli was very frustrated this morning and we came home because it kept dieing on her. Any help is appreciated!

Is it still carbureted? If so it sounds like it hasn't seen much action and the float bowls might be a good place to start.

Several things to check here:

For the rough running; 1. Plugs (like you said), 2. Fuel (old or bad gas, and was it stored for a ong time? May need to clean out gas tank, 3. Gas filter, 4. Tuning.

For the throttle response; 1. Possible kink in cable, 2. Cable adjustment (check ownwers manual).

Should get you started.

P.

:beerchug:

Several things to check here:

For the rough running; 1. Plugs (like you said), 2. Fuel (old or bad gas, and was it stored for a ong time? May need to clean out gas tank, 3. Gas filter, 4. Tuning.

For the throttle response; 1. Possible kink in cable, 2. Cable adjustment (check ownwers manual).

Should get you started.

P.

:beerchug:

Thanks Postal, will keep checking things.

I would drain the bowls first and see what comes out! if you get lots of crud in the bowls you will want to clean all of the filters including the little screens in the float needles if your carbs have em. I usually pull the plugs and soak em in Acetone while I am draining the bowls but if the bike only has 314 miles the plugs "should" be like new.

+1 on what Postal sed-check the throttle cable for kinks/crap stuck on the line...mebbe even inspect around the grip area-if this is the bike she had the 'incident' on at the Bash, Im suprised no gremlins like this reared their heads any soonr...sucks but might have to git durty n pull those panels off n start diggn.

Good luck man:beerchug:

Is the actual throttle hanging up, or is it just not responding properly?

Break down the carbs and clean those suckers!
I think they're Mikhuni?
Either way, there are walkthroughs on all the Kat sites and if you've never worked with carbs in your life, they are pretty damned helpful and can walk you through it.
Make sure to check the floats for faults and be sure to clean out the primary and secondary jets as well.
good luck!

From what I heard at Bash, I gotta agree with Garrison above... the problem was already starting there and if it gunk... the small "run off the road" and dumping the bike could have made it all the worse..

Sorry I am not closer, would help you tear them off and go through them.. (not that hard of a job but take your time ..

I adjusted my cable to tight one time, bike started doing all kinds of weird things ???, response, return etc etc.

From what I heard at Bash, I gotta agree with Garrison above... the problem was already starting there and if it gunk... the small "run off the road" and dumping the bike could have made it all the worse..

Sorry I am not closer, would help you tear them off and go through them.. (not that hard of a job but take your time ..

Thanks Randy, we discovered at the bash that it was just not run enough and got gunk built up until we blew it out. It has responded well since then, but I need to figure out how to remove the plastics and go through it. Carbs are no big deal, rebuilt the Kehein's I used have a few times.

Break down the carbs and clean those suckers!
I think they're Mikhuni?
Either way, there are walkthroughs on all the Kat sites and if you've never worked with carbs in your life, they are pretty damned helpful and can walk you through it.
Make sure to check the floats for faults and be sure to clean out the primary and secondary jets as well.
good luck!

Plugs and carb cleaning will have to happen. I cant let Juli ride a bike she has no faith in and it is frustrating for both of us. I was hoping it would clear up on its own the more it was ridden. Thanks for the input guys, it is a brand new bike, it has to be carbon build up or gunk in the carbs.

Is the bike running rich? If it is you have a stuck float, or a float valve that is not seating. The slow throttle response can also be a vacuum leak. Check all of the lines on the intake nipples. The main jets are by vacuum pressure in the intake. If it was one carb it would run rough, not respond slow. Fuel filter debris would cause the bike to stall or lug under a mild load, and it would wind down quickly. Check the spark plugs to see if the any of the cylinders are running rich or lean.

If I was closer I would come over and help you with it. PM me if you want me to talk about it.

Last edited:
Is the bike running rich? If it is you have a stuck float, or a float valve that is not seating. The slow throttle response can also be a vacuum leak. Check all of the lines on the intake nipples. The main jets are by vacuum pressure in the intake. If it was one carb it would run rough, not respond slow. Fuel filter debris would cause the bike to stall or lug under a mild load, and it would wind down quickly. Check the spark plugs to see if the any of the cylinders are running rich or lean.

If I was closer I would come over and help you with it. PM me if you want me to talk about it.
the bike was leaned out real bad on one hole at bash... it ended up oil fouling a plug.. We zinged it out long enough to get some fuel going and it re-lit the hole... Nice bike but just think it sat around a lot without a full tank of fuel...

Could it be a tank of bad gas? It's unlikely but it does happen.

My bikes sit for 3 or 4 months over summer. No problems so far with the gas going bad.

(fingers crossed)

r8

Just downloaded a fairing removal tutorial on Katriders. Good to go now. I will let you know what I come up with. Thanks for the help guys!

Back