OK A truck question

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
OK folks I need a little vehicle help....

the facts
1. 93 Chevy astro van (Cargo)
2. 24,000 miles (yeah I know)
3. Abs lights on dash are on
4. The rear brakes grab like a mother when I go to stop.......

I checked the brake pads and fluid of course... everything looks good... I also checked all the fuses I could find...

the van sat alot, and that is the reason for the mileage being so low..... I figure that has something to do with it....

Any ideas or suggestions?

Cap

brake grab rust in rear drums from sittin a.. drive down road 30-40 mmphapply park brake half way untill it smooths the drums inside 30.40 sec they should straighten up an d not grab if still grab drums are out of round as far as abs lite possible wheel speed sensor or abs module is faulty hard to tell with out pullin the code from the module on which circuit has failed

(bradsbusa @ Jun. 12 2007,20:00) brake grab rust in rear drums from sittin    a..           drive down road  30-40 mmphapply park brake half way untill it smooths the drums inside 30.40 sec  they should straighten up an d not grab if still grab   drums are out of round as far as abs lite possible wheel speed sensor or abs module is faulty hard to tell with out pullin the code from the module on which circuit has failed
perfect, now I just need to get the codes

Has it been sitting awhile? If so just take it out and give a good workout. If not.....(he inhales)....not sure if it has a proportioning valve if so could very possibly be stuck or clogged..ould be the master cylinder clooged up or just from sitting is not proportioning the fluid sending too much to the rear...For whatever reasons sitting in storage just causes gremlins...it's probaly a eay fix worst case the master cylinder is bad. .......Wait ...wait A 93' is it drum or disc rear brakes??

sounds like your rear wheel abs sensor has gone. should be located in your rear differntial. On top. rear wheel speed sensor.

(bradsbusa @ Jun. 12 2007,20:00)
brake grab rust in rear drums from sittin a.. drive down road 30-40 mmphapply park brake half way untill it smooths the drums inside 30.40 sec they should straighten up an d not grab if still grab drums are out of round as far as abs lite possible wheel speed sensor or abs module is faulty hard to tell with out pullin the code from the module on which circuit has failed

exactly give er a good blowin out...

drums on the rear... let me rephrase on the grabbing, I drive this every day, the brakes are smooth unless your in the rain then they lock up and you slide... On dry pavement they are a little touchy but they work.. no rust on the rotors, pads or drums.....

Probably one of the wheel speed sensors... but like said above... if you can get a code from the computer, it would tell ya for sure... hopefully...

If you need some GM parts to fix it, Red05 might be able to fix you up.

Since the abs light is on, I'd say it has to be an abs sensor or abs controller. If it was a stuck proportioning valve I doubt the van would have any idea what's wrong. Rear brakes probably always get too much brake proportion, but it's only a problem in the wet.

Did it have a recent brake job Doug? If so,perhaps it was done incorrectly.ABS systems need a couple things done that conventional brakes dont require.

RSD.

Does the speed-o-meter work? If not check the VSS located in the left side of the transmission (2 wires blue and black?) Is the van 4WD? If so there is more then 1 VSS!
I would also check the front sensors rust and dirt can build up on them causing an incorrect signal.

Sorry thats all I got for you with out pluging in my scanner!

More info.......

The lights on the dash are the ABS and the brake idiot lights

My wife followed me tonight and told me that the running lights are working but no brake lights, on further inspection the brake lights are on all the time along with the running lights.....

Ideas....

cap

(captain @ Jun. 15 2007,00:25) More info.......

My wife followed me tonight and told me that the running lights are working but no brake lights, on further inspection the brake lights are on all the time along with the running lights.....

Ideas....

cap
Unplug the brake light switch from under the dash just above the brake pedal it may be stuck/shorted!

(captain @ Jun. 14 2007,21:25) More info.......

Ideas....

cap
electrical short?
This gets more confusing by the minute...

Sorry to say...but it might be time to plug her in (code reader).

I know you dont like to lose,me neither. But it may be time to plug 'er in.

RSD.

Back