Oil

GSXRFANN

FLUNKIE
Donating Member
Registered
I know this question has been brought up several times but can I switch to synthetic oil even though my bike has 7500 miles on it? I dragrace it and ride it on the street.
Actually I have already put 10w30 Mobile1 synthetic in it, but haven't cranked the bike, so I can still drain it if I need to.

I changed to synthetic at about 1000 miles and have had no problems.
But I also change the oil every 35 or 40 passes.

David

<!--EDIT|Devious
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141248796 -->

You can switch to synthetic at 200 miles or 20 ,000 miles but if I were you I'd remove that 10w-30 Mobil  .

Two years ago when it had the API SL designation it had 1100-1200 parts per million zinc . Now with API SM it has like 650-700ppm for the plain M1 and around 900 for the Extended Performance version .

If you want to run a 30wt, Synergyn 3w-30 has 1500- 1600ppm zinc but a street bike needs a nice 40wt anyway . There are a large number of 5w-40's available that will not cost you any meaningfull HP over running 30wts for the most part .

Beware though , not all oils with synthetic labeling are comprised totally of PAO and ester . Only in America

Just say no to using wrong oils  
biggrin.gif

as long as you use SH & SJ approved versions (at a minumum stated by Suzuki) ... it shouldn't matter.
I go back and forth between dyno and synth every so often. I use Amzoil mostly because for me it made my transmission MUCH smoother.
My Busa has never gone more than 1000 miles with the same oil in her.

You can switch to synthetic at 200 miles or 20 ,000 miles but if I were you I'd remove that 10w-30 Mobil  .
Just like he said! 30 weight is two thin of an oil for the tranny. To be honest 30w would not hurt the moter but for lubricating those fast winding gears, it a no no!

Pick up some 5w-40 shell rotella T and enjoy paying about $15 bucks for an oil change, or if you love that Mobil 1 get the 10w-40.

Just to throw a wrench in the works I have ran 0w in my bike and also use 5w30 mobil 1. 10w30 mobil 1 will work fine. You might want to check out BDE site and read about the use of lighter wieght oil. If your bike is still under factory warranty I would be careful about using oil that is not approved.

That 10w-30 would be fine.
I personally use the 15w-40 Rotella, as a diesel engine oil the additive package is higher in extreme pressure additives than current gas engine oils. Gasoline engine oils have been cut back in anti-wear additves so as not to contaminate catalytic converters.

I use silkolene 10w 40 semi senthetic works like a charm my buddy races dirt bikes and he got me hooked on it after tearing engines apart with him there so clean it freaked me out but hey every one has there own prefrence..Nate

Back