Oil

Before using synthetic oil you need to let the rings seat using non synthetic oil is a must to seat the rings. That usally takes about 1000miles any time after that you can use synthetic oil. knebnr

I have heard that people run regular car motor oil in their bikes..I can't believe that..Car oil is ok, but its made for car engines that redline at about 6000 RPM's, most bikes don't redline till about 12000 or better..The car oil can't stand that kind of RPM's or Temp's..Am I correct in this assumption? Also What benifit would I get from running a synthetic oil and not a regular motorcycle oil?

I've been told to wait until I have 7000 miles on my BUSA,It has to do with the clutches being broke in properly
sly.gif

Car motor oils labeled (Energy Conserving) contain anti-friction additives which, will cause clutch slippage.  I went to a semi-synthetic oil on the R1 at 3000 miles.  I plan on doing the same thing on the Busa.

aktion035.gif

Castrol Syntec is about the only car synthetic you can use. Mobil 1 auto has too many friction modifiers.

I have been using Syntec for 15K miles and never had any clutch slippage. Paying $3-4 a quart is bearable, but I can't quite stomach $8 a quart for MXT4, especially with the amount of miles I ride.

Car oil will work fine, I like castrol gtx, also they dont make oils based on rpm ratings I dont know where you people get this poop. And it will never hurt your clutches syn or non synthetic. 9.40s not bad for an oil that is ruining my motor and clutches. LOL

Car oil will work fine, I like castrol gtx, also they dont make oils based on rpm ratings I dont know where you people get this poop. And it will never hurt your clutches syn or non synthetic.  9.40s not bad for an oil that is ruining my motor and clutches. LOL[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
How many miles has your bike done?

I just heard a bit about Castrol Syntec and that they use mineral-based oil and it isn't truly synthetic. Quite a let a let down.
sad.gif

I'm going to check the local Wally-marts. Apparently Mobil MXT4 is on clearance at some for $5 a quart instead of the usual $7.75.

thumbs-up.gif

Synthetic is the way to go. Most of the other companies buy the polymers for there oil from Mobil so if you pay big bucks for motorcycle specific oil don't waste you money. In a motorcycle engine it is the transmission gears which put the viscosity of you oil to the test since automotive engines use separate transmissions the oil only lubricates the engine internal moving parts. Motorcycles have to also lube the transmission with the same oil the gear pressures are what break down the oil viscosity Mobil 1 synthetic 15w-50 will stand up to this kind of abuse with no problem and you will have no clutch slippage using this oil. It's all I use and have never had and oil related failure even in my dragbike...........

I have best luck with Mobil 1 MXT4. Some WalMarts do carry it on a good discount, but not around here(I wish they did) in CT. can find it for $7.50 @Autozone

Back