Oil pressure light

rolloutred

Registered
Hello people, i changed the oil and filter and installed new clutches not the steels just cleaned them up, put new oil in it 10w 40 and it cranks idles and runs fine but after a few minutes riding my oil pressure light started flickering and now it stays on when running, I unplugged the oil sending unit wire while running and the light went out but, I haven’t hooked a gauge to it to test, the bike was sitting for feww months and the oil was old in it, does anyone have any ideas what it might be

Dumb question,

Did you put enough oil in?
You sure you put the clutch steels in correctly?

Yeh i was thinking bout that but that also requires removing the exhaust to drop the oil pan which I’m nervous about those header bolts look rough

Hello people, i changed the oil and filter and installed new clutches not the steels just cleaned them up, put new oil in it 10w 40 and it cranks idles and runs fine but after a few minutes riding my oil pressure light started flickering and now it stays on when running, I unplugged the oil sending unit wire while running and the light went out but, I haven’t hooked a gauge to it to test, the bike was sitting for feww months and the oil was old in it, does anyone have any ideas what it might be
Start slow and easy. If you want to get the pan off just use the usual tricks.
If yer not sure just ask. As suggested,check those ^ things first. If yer gonna go at the headers,spray them tonight with a rust buster,so it can work its magic. I've been using SeaFoam penetrating oil lately,good stuff.
I don't think u have done anything majorly wrong.
Rubb.

I would have a hard time believing it had anything to do with old oil. I man it has to be really ancient oil to lose that much viscosity. And I have a hard time believing that its the new oil.

I don't know enough about the clutches to know why it would cause oil pressure issues, but I'd go to clutch before I'd go with bad oil old/new.

I might suggest removing the sending unit to see if it is pumping oil up to that point. Maybe its just a faulty diaphragm?

control the one single wire and its fastener (RH of motor - knee down when fairing is off)
at its end there is a very small ring hold by a very small nut at the plug´s thread
perhaps this cause your issue
nut off?
wire broken?
as far as i remember it has ignition (+) and the plug gives ground when pressure is low (or the other way around - damn electricity)

and what gen? 1 or 2 ?

@rolloutred You don't have to remove the radiator. It will be a lot easier if you do.

There's a link for radiator removal near the beginning of this tutorial but the whole procedure might help.

Before you go dropping the oil pan, why not try a different oil pressure gauge switch?

Few facts I learned about oil pressure switch on my ZX-14:

If you expect to screw anything into that boss, you best be sure it has the proper thread pitch and diameter. The sensor on my ZX-14 has ordinary 1/8" NPT threads. They were tapered smaller than a normal 1/8 NPT fitting usually is, I suspect to dissuade owners from using the port in ways other than intended/OEM. I found the same thing with my Yamaha from 40 years ago so it is probably standard procedure to make oil pressure switches with very small thread diameters. There may be a proper adapter you can attach to an oil pressure test gauge but make sure it's tapered small enough for a good fit. There are oil pressure test ports that are intended to be used to test oil pressure. Those test ports probably fall into the normal range of 1/8 NPT thread diameter. I had to use an adjustable die on a fitting to taper the threads small enough to fit the oil pressure switch boss. ---Pipe thread is tapered--get it? Each thread pitch has a normal range of outside diameter. Becuase they are tapered threads, it is possible cut that outside diameter to a smaller range. Thus you have a smaller hole and most fittings with a "normal" O.D. will only go in a half thread or maybe not at all.

The OEM oil pressure gauge is NOT very sensative to reduction in oil pressure. The light probably won't come on until it the pressure drops to ~3 or 4 psi. I have an oil pressure gauge on my ZX-14 and I have varified the extremely low oil pressure required to activate the warning light. That light is useless for anything but startups and maybe cruising at highway speeds if you see the light come on right away. If the switch is working properly and your oil pressure is really that low, I would not run the motor if you don't need to. The oil pressure should run at about 40-60 psi immidiately at startup and then drop to about 14 psi at normal idle speed---that is how my ZX-14 indicates from the oil pressure switch boss. I'd expect the busa would be similar.

Oil pressure switches are always ON at rest, meaning the circuit is closed when the engine is off. When the oil pressure rises above 3 psi, the plunger in the switch opens the circuit and the warning light goes out. It's possible that plunger is stuck. If you try a new oil pressure switch and the light doesn't go out, the problem is not the sensor. No need to test pressure. Drop the oil pan.

I would first try a new sensor. Remeber, the oil pressure isn't normally tested at the oil pressure switch boss--you might not even be able to fit a pressure tester to the oil pressure switch boss. You can buy used OEM oil presssure switches on Ebay pretty cheap. A brand new OEM one is going to cost you pretty much I'll bet. A decent oil pressure gauge should be pretty cheap but just remember, you DO NOT want to thread anything in that hole that doesn't fit. The ZX-14 threads were tapered and they tapered them a lot smaller than normal pipe threads would go.

Buy 3 used oil pressure switches off Ebay. If they all activate the warning light with engine on like the one you have, the problem is not the sensor. The oil pressure is in fact very LOW. Drop pan, find source of obstruction, test pressure at the port(s) designed for that purpose, test oil pressure warning light switch.

Sorry for the longwindedness, I can give you more info than that but point is, you might well not be able to fit a test gauge in the switch boss. I found them to be drilled quite small on both my 08 busa and my 75 Yamaha. The best way to test might be to try another oil pressure switch, just make sure it is not stuck like it appears yours may be.

This pic will show you what I mean. A normal 1/8" NPT male fitting might have a OD that is much larger than the threads on the oil pressure switch. These are tapered threads and it's possible to taper them down smaller than what most fitting typically are. The brass adapter threads were the correct pitch but they were too large. (BTW, probably not the best idea to use a brass adapter on a motorcycle anyway.)

GSv1.8NPT.jpg

Last edited:
One more, if you test other oil pressure switches, should be able to thread them in just good and snug. No need to go full tight and wear threads, if it leaks a bit, no problem for testing purposes. When you put the pressure sensor back in for real, that's where the proper amount of tightness is important and I can give you instructions on that if you need it.

(...)my oil pressure light started flickering and now it stays on when running(...)

at 1st and in 99% of all tech questions forgotten to mention - what the heck :devil: exact kind of bike are we thinking about and whatfor is it built / how is it used ?

if gen 1 hayabusa for street your issue description sounds like first a loose contact and now a lost contact - so did you already have an eye at the wire etc. ;-)

at 1st and in 99% of all tech questions forgotten to mention - what the heck :devil: exact kind of bike are we thinking about and whatfor is it built / how is it used ?

if gen 1 hayabusa for street your issue description sounds like first a loose contact and now a lost contact - so did you already have an eye at the wire etc. ;-)
Frank, you are forgetting that the wire connection to the oil pressure switch is GROUNDING the circuit when the pressure is below 4 psi, and causing the red light to come on.
As pressure rises above 4psi the the circuit becomes open, and the grounding is lost, and the light goes out.
Therefore a loose wire or a disconnected wire will not cause flickering or permanently illuminated red lamp on the dash.

The only two possible causes are, . . .
1) low oil pressure (below 4psi)
or 2) a faulty pressure switch.
Before diving in to remove the oil pan and visually checking screen etc (oh and don't forget the oil pressure relief/bypass valve needs chrecking to see if it's jammed in the open position) just check the oil pressure at the port by removing the bung and fitting a test gauge. . . or fit another switch you know is in good working order.
If the pressure is actually low (which in this case I doubt and believe the switch is at fault) then it will be time to remove the pan and run thru all the checks.

Yeh i was thinking bout that but that also requires removing the exhaust to drop the oil pan which I’m nervous about those header bolts look rough
My oil light has been on for a year now. Replaced the oil pressure gage switch & no change. Nor was it the oil level being to low or high so yes taking off the oil pan today or tomorrow to check pickup since doing all the maintenance that has been put off.

Back