Oil on exhaust tip

Supe

Registered
Just changed the oil in my 02 recently. During a pre-ride inspect, I notice what seemed to be a little oil on my right side exhaust tip. When idling there is no smoke, my oil level is perfect, doesn't appear to be burning any oil. Engine runs great, Idles at 1k. I'm at just over 4k. Changed to synthetic oil at 3k. ALL: can this be considered normal??

Aftermarket pipes? The filter is right above the point where most systems have a joint where oil seeps right in. It should smoke after a while for a few miles and then be clean for the next change.

Just changed the oil in my 02 recently.  During a pre-ride inspect, I notice what seemed to be a little oil on my right side exhaust tip.  When idling there is no smoke, my oil level is perfect, doesn't appear to be burning any oil.  Engine runs great, Idles at 1k.  I'm at just over 4k.  Changed to synthetic oil at 3k.  ALL:  can this be considered normal??
I'd say u have worries . Oil can make its way out the shoot on an' extreme 11 o'clock'er(on some bikes) . But it's rare .It's more common to them other brands...u know...( gotta be carefull here...don't wanna offend the Italians, or any other ethnic type/minority/white/non-white/group of fags/blah,blah,blah....)
If you've got oil back there....you got a problem .
yer words : can all this be considered normal ?
I'd haffta say no .
Anything that comes out the tail pipe had to have [ALMOST certainly] have been in the combustion chamber . That much oil shouldn't be there .
Yes, there can be blow by , but it should never be an' amount , that drips off the tailpipe.
lemme know the outcome .

Before you get too worked up Supe, It is not that unusual on new bikes. Yours is a 02 and probably not that many miles. My 01 stock exhaust can had a small residue of oil on the right outlet lip when it was new and I had concerns too. it was nothing at all. Once the rings seated that was the last I saw oil. It never smoked. It runs very strong then and now. Early this year I installed the new single can Akrapovic system. I checked the stock pipes and found no oil in them. The new system is dry So before these guys get you paniced that the engine is going to explode and cost millions to fix, just let it do its thing and it will go away.

Advise:

If you still have some warantee left, just watch it. If it gets worse take it in and let them deal with it before the warentee expires. I doubt they will do anything unless you are belching smoke and burning a pint per week. That way if it does fail later you have history on the problem before the warentee expired and you may get them to fix it later.

The stock pipes have a straight shot at the right side can, the left pipe comes off this straight pipe at an angle so any oil or debris will favor the right side. But for all I know, the mechanic may have hung his oil can in the right exhaust while working on the rear brakes and that left the residue?

Could also be a little excess from the crank vent that made its way to the PAIR valve.
rock.gif

Just ride. Worry when something blows up.
biggrin.gif

That probably is the best idea so far. I hadn't thought of it since my PAIR is gone. But is was there originally when I had the oil on the right can.

WELL DONE!

If it runs good and doesn't smoke, then ride it hard!

Excellent advice guys. The oil I see is just a dry residue on the right side, it's not a drip. I think after a few more miles when everything is seated good, this will go away - it probably already has. The bike seems to run smoother and stronger the more I ride it. THANKS!!

Back