Oil light... won't crank?

zerokill

Registered
I just got a 2002 Busa with 30,000 miles on it. In the past three weeks I've put 500 miles on it with no problems what so ever. I pulled into my friends driveway after a short ride (the bike felt great, no knocks, no noise, flawless) and parked it there for three hours. When I was ready to leave I turned the key to "ON" the clock LCD screen read "CHEC," the oil light stayed on and it won't let me start it. It won't even crank. The bike shows oil in the view glass and there is no evidence of a leak. I need some help here guys.

TURN KEY TO ON POSTION,Put it in nuetral,lift kickstand and flip on off button to run.

This can happen because the bike is thinking it is hot.. look your water temp it can be maxed out. The protection sensors are line linked one out all out. If you know everything is ok, when this light is on you should check oil & water just to be safe. If all ok just turn the key on and off fault will clear... The fault is not age related more likely to happen short rides in a hot city.... send some that sunshine here... you could check the action on your side stand switch.. The sensors are not expensive and easy to install so if it takes a time to clear the fault by turning the key to different positions time to visit your stealership...

There are a few other interlocks that can take you out. Daniel hit on a few. I've hit the big red killswitch a few times myself. Good luck

I neglected to mention that this is my first Busa and my first post on The oRg. Based on what I've read throughout the site and my experience on the bike thus far, I'll never own anything but!!! :thumbsup:
I'll head over to my buddy's house today and give it hell to get her going again. Until then let's see if I can get some pics posted...

busa1.jpg

Given what you have described, unless it got extremely hot, it should be something simple. Let us know what you find.

I hit red kill switch by accident. The result was no start and CHEC light. Also pull clutch in to start.

now you know this is going to be one of those kick me silly fixes.... kill switch, in gear kickstand down, etc... :laugh:

Check the clutch switch too, try jumping the two wires together and see if she starts. Good luck and nice Busa, my buddy has that one too!!:thumbsup:

1) Kick stand up
2) Clutch lever in
3) Key to run position
4) Kill switch to run position
5) Push the start button

Try this and report back :beerchug:

TURN KEY TO ON POSTION,Put it in nuetral,lift kickstand and flip on off button to run.

Sounds like this.

Sit on the bike, shift to neutral (green indicator should light up), hold in clutch, verify key is on position, put the kill switch to on. you should hear gas pump prime, and the chek should then go to the time. If not you have a bigger problem, but more likely....one of these things wasn't done.

As mentioned, kickstand switch, bike in gear, and a few other things could also be inhibiting you.

Good luck :welcome::beerchug:

Update:
All the fluid levels are in check, the temp gauge reads cold.
I hooked a volt meter up to the kickstand kill switch... it read open when engaged and disengaged?
Also, at the connection, the female end only reads 1.6 volts? I'm pretty accustomed to a solid 5 volts working around cars. Is this typical???
One more thing, and please be gentle (first Busa and first breakdown on any bike), but where is this mythical "red kill switch" you all talk about? I searched high and low...

Thanks for all the input thus far! Keep it coming...

Update:
I hooked a volt meter up to the kickstand kill switch... it read open when engaged and disengaged?
Also, at the connection, the female end only reads 1.6 volts? I'm pretty accustomed to a solid 5 volts working around cars. Is this typical???
One more thing, and please be gentle (first Busa and first breakdown on any bike), but where is this mythical "red kill switch" you all talk about? I searched high and low...

On the right hand grip :thumbsup:

Update:

Red button in the pic :beerchug:

before_3.jpg

Back