Oil leaking everywhere!

Correct! Damn O-ring. :banghead: Everything seems fine now. I had to put about 3 quarts of oil back in. She started up fine after replacing the filter and refilling. I let her warm up and revved her up a few times no apparent leaks. All seems right with the world again....

Now I just gotta make sure I got all the oil off the rear tire.

that oil makes for a big ole mess, sorry for your mishap, happens to the best of us tho...

don't want to high jack the thread but how much of the 4th qt. do i need to use. Rough estimate . I've only used a little . I'm by myself trying to look at the level and it looks to be in the middle of the window..

btw the fairings came off with ease. I had a torque wrench for the oil pan but stopped because i didn't hear a click and didn't want to strip the bolt.. Its still turning with tension on the bolt but playing it safe..

Most of the time, when the old o ring sticks, it's caused by putting the new filter on dry. You should always dip your finger in some oil, and coat the new o ring. Good point about cleaning the mating surface before installing the new filter too!:thumbsup:

Most of the time, when the old o ring sticks, it's caused by putting the new filter on dry. You should always dip your finger in some oil, and coat the new o ring. Good point about cleaning the mating surface before installing the new filter too!:thumbsup:

+1 on that, worked at stiffylube for a couple years and it wood happen a couple times a week. It's all about wiping down the mounting plate before install.
Posted via Mobile Device

guess i never knew that could happen. my dad always made me when i was a kid to clean the mating surface then oil the ring and only tighten the filter hand tight...not 2 hands tight. ive never had one leak and they are always easy to get off...just a solid wrench of the hand.

guess he never told me why i had to do it that way :thumbsup:

guess i never knew that could happen. my dad always made me when i was a kid to clean the mating surface then oil the ring and only tighten the filter hand tight...not 2 hands tight. ive never had one leak and they are always easy to get off...just a solid wrench of the hand.

guess he never told me why i had to do it that way :thumbsup:

I think those are those little tidbits of info that they drop off on us without knowing so that later on, we'll be like, "I guess his old ass did know what he was talking about after all." :thumbsup:

Back