Oil leaking everywhere!

Shadowside

Registered
I almost had a major mishap today. Yesterday I changed the oil and oil filter. This is the first time I've changed the oil filter on this bike. What a pain. Anyway after buying a universal attachment for my ratchet I was able to get the oil filter off. The rest of the change went normally. Replaced the filter. Refilled the oil. Let the bike run for 5 minutes or so, no leaks. Put the fairing back on thinking all is good. I go to ride the bike this afternoon and get about 500 yards down the road then start seeing and smelling smoke. I look down and see a long oil trail. I managed to turn around, almost fell over with oil all over the rear tire. Just before I get back to the driveway the oil light begins to blink. I immediately shut the engine off and push her the rest of the way. I haven't taken the fairing back off yet but it looks like oil was leaking from the filter. I think the vast majority of the oil spilled out. I'm not sure how much is left in the bike. I have always changed the oil on my bikes myself and this is a first for me. I guess it's possible I didn't tighten the oil filter down enough but I thought I did. I guess I'll find out when I try to fill her back up. Hopefully nothing got damaged internally.:banghead:

Double check your filter per Rainbow7 and make sure it is tight, also make sure you replace the crush washer under the drain plug and use a torque wrench when reseating. I have seen a lot of posts on people over tightening and stripping the plug. That would be a biotch! Good luck!

I'm pretty sure it isn't leaking from the drain plug. I'm also pretty sure the old o-ring wasn't the problem but we'll see once I get a chance to check it all out. My biggest worry is internal damage. I shut it down as soon as the oil light started to flash and didn't hear or feel any thing weird so I hope all is okay internally.

That's what the oil light is there for, to let you know to shut it down now. And you did, and you said it still sounded fine then too, I wouldn't worry about engine damage.

yup, like everyone else already said.. make sure there's only one 0-ring for the oil filter. Make sure you you tighten the filter nice n tight. At idle the pressure is low so you might not see a leak but once you give the motor some revs the pressure builds and if it can it'll find a way out.

sounds like it coulda been alot worse for ya than it was. hopefully it was just a loose filter or bolt and no real damage has occured.

man, ive never had a filter leak. just changed mine last weekend. i always run it and recheck oil levels with side fairing off to make sure the oil line doesnt leak. once full i rev her up and then i shut her down to re-assemble.

hope there are no problems. let us know what you find. im definitely interested in hearing the resolution.

I think you will find the others were correct, and the old o ring was left on. Don't ask me how I know this.:whistle:

I think you will find the others were correct, and the old o ring was left on. Don't ask me how I know this.:whistle:

Correct! Damn O-ring. :banghead: Everything seems fine now. I had to put about 3 quarts of oil back in. She started up fine after replacing the filter and refilling. I let her warm up and revved her up a few times no apparent leaks. All seems right with the world again....

Now I just gotta make sure I got all the oil off the rear tire.

Last edited:
Correct! Damn O-ring. :banghead: Everything seems fine now. I had to put about 3 quarts of oil back in. She started up fine after replacing the filter and refilling. I let her warm up and revved her up a few times no apparent leaks. All seems right with the world again....

Now I just gotta make sure I got all the oil off the rear tire.

:thumbsup:

How can the old O-ring still be on the bike? Isn't it attached the filter.. Is this a common thing...Thanks

It comes out quite easily and often stays attached to the engine. It can be easy to miss. It's happened to me on other bikes as well but this was the first time I didn't notice and remove it.

Thanks, your talking about the rubber O-ring that is attached to the filter right..

This is good to know for when i change my oil.. :thumbsup:

Sometimes they just stick to the engine block. If you dont make a mental note to look for it, you will forget it.

ALWAYS wipe the surface of the machined face where the Oring seats clean before installing the new filter to remove the dirt and grime that always accumulates there. You will never have a problem if you do a proper install of the new filter.

NEVER, never put a new filter on without cleaning the fliter seat surface! :beerchug:

Back