Oil Leak

Dudley

Registered
I have a leak from my Starter Clutch Cover. I just replaced the gasket and thought every thing was fine. After my first ride it's leaking again
sad.gif
. Is it ok to use a liquid gasket seal in addition to the gasket for a little more sealing power or is this a bad place to use it? perhaps someone knows of an after market gasket that is thicker. Help is appreciated.. .:)

Oil leaks suck...Take your cover off and make sure everything is clean and no remaining gasket is left on the cover or engine. Use a mild solvent or soft wire brush and wipe EVERYTHING make sure not to get debris into your engine. If you need to remove some material be careful not to dig into the mating surfaces. Purchase a quality gasket and some Permatex gasket sealer it will come in a white bottle with a brush inside. Apply a thin layer on the mating surfaces ( a little bit goes a long way) and use the brush to spread. Place your gasket onto one of the mating surfaces and reassemble. Tighten your fasteners until you feel slight pressure evenly around the cover. Tighten your cover fastners evenly in a criss-cross pattern until you reach torque specs. If you have a gasket where you have a bit of over hang, watch for the lip of the gasket to slightly start to curl. At that point when the gasket starts to curl or bend you have reached the torque spec for that gasket. DON'T over tighten or you will warp, crack, strip, and or cut through your gasket. If you are not use to using silicone sealants, avoid them. You can apply to much and a large irregular lip will form on the inside from the parts coming together from excess. Overtime some pieces will come off and lodge in bad places through out the engine. Overall its pretty easy and when done right it will not leak.

<!--EDIT|Dulimon
Reason for Edit: None given...|1095340558 -->

Back