Oil Leak on Busa Turbo

812Supa

Registered
2009 Busa Stage 2 Kit, but only running 4.5lbs. Garrett 2871 Dual Ball Bearing turbo

Everything seems to be working well, only problem is when the bike is parked I am getting oil leaking out of the intake side of the turbo.
I figured it was due to maybe building too much crank case pressure and pulled the parr valve/restrictor for the crank case ventilation from under the gas tank, but the problem is still happening.

My next assumption is maybe the external oil pump for getting the oil out of the turbo is not strong enough or not removing the oil when sitting.

The other thing is that maybe the pump is adding to the extra pressure.

I do have a K&N filter for venting the extra pressure located under the tank. Maybe need to add one in the oil filler plug?

Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't have a suggestion but I do have the same problem. Switched from Rotella T 15W-40 to Repsol Synthetic 20W-30. Now the turbo is leaking out into the K&N Filter and onto the garage floor. It's a Precision 6062b and I come to find out my builder had the same problem. He had the turbo resealed, started using Rotella T and never had the problem again. Wish I would have known before hand.

2009 Busa Stage 2 Kit, but only running 4.5lbs. Garrett 2871 Dual Ball Bearing turbo

Everything seems to be working well, only problem is when the bike is parked I am getting oil leaking out of the intake side of the turbo.
I figured it was due to maybe building too much crank case pressure and pulled the parr valve/restrictor for the crank case ventilation from under the gas tank, but the problem is still happening.

My next assumption is maybe the external oil pump for getting the oil out of the turbo is not strong enough or not removing the oil when sitting.

The other thing is that maybe the pump is adding to the extra pressure.

I do have a K&N filter for venting the extra pressure located under the tank. Maybe need to add one in the oil filler plug?

Anyone have any suggestions?
I have a 2013 fully built with less than 1000 miles on the clock
What's your drain situation? Scavenge pump?
Do you know your for sure your turbo is good? Seals good? No end play

Assuming drain isn't an issue and turbo isn't an issue we can move to crankcase pressure

Have you done a leak down to make sure you don't have tons of blow by pressurizing the case?
This is step 1
assuming the leak down is good you could get a one way release valve to replace the oil cap.
I had the same issue as you but coming out the exhaust side

Leak down good
turbo - new
check valve in line with oil feed line
turbo oil feed restrictor .20 thou
Mechanical scavenge pump thinking gravity drain wasn't fast enough
still had the issue - just a super slight drop sitting on the exhaust side where the compressor bolts up. Like less than a drop but that's too much for me.

Got a threaded breather valve that replaces the oil cap. At 2.5 psi it opens releasing pressure and then closes when the pressure drops.

I don't know why my engine makes crankcase pressure. It's a fresh build rings seated well by the numbers on the leak down. Using a boroscope no signs of detonation and everything looks excellent.

Using the threaded check valve relieved the pressure. Just make sure all other possibilities for the leak are validated first before moving on.

only when parked ? clears itself after a short ride and good while in use ?

look at comments in previous posts about check valves for supply side or sumps for drain side

I do have a Scavenge pump. I did notice that for some reason, it is sucking the oil out, but there still seems to be some sitting or not being pulled out all the way into the clutch area.

Was not doing this for a week after getting the turbo on. Not positive the turbo is good, but it should be as it isn't a cheap turbo, and was new putting on.

I do have one breather under the gas tank, but was thinking of adding another to replace the oil cap.

I am not getting any oil burning out of the exhaust side either.

Oil leak isn't consistent, one time I added a little oil to compensate, and there was a larger puddle. Haven't added any, and only had a drop or two.

Well I guess I finally found the culprit......go figure just a little bit to much oil in the motor. Removed about 1/4 quart and haven't seen a drop since.

Wow, this same thing happend to me when I lived in Puyallup. I sent the turbo to Phoniex to exchange for new one. I think the guy said he could rebuild it for a little over 200 bucks are get a new one with 5 year warinty for 500.

Back