oil leak, need help.

merisey

Donating Member
Registered
I tore off my tank today and started to rip off my fairings when I noticed a sheen on one of my header tubes. After inspection I see that it seems I have a oil leak from the right (looking at headlight) header tube. It's not coming from the the head/valve cover. It really looks like it is coming out of the header studs. My question is, Is the busa like some other scoots that some of the header bolts go through as in if not sealed can seep/leak oil? or do I have a BIG problem?

Probably from the last oil change. Clean it up real well and keep and eye on it. Busa's don't leak; well that haven't been wrecked and or broke. :thumbsup:

I am nearly positive that it's not from the last oil change. I cleaned the heck out of it since then and know I would have got it. The last time I started it was about a month ago when I moved and let it run for about 15min.
ry%3D400.jpg

Good luck with it. Any oil lines in that area ? I'd still clean it up real good and try to find the source.

I joke around a lot, sorry if I offended :beerchug:

hey merisey....good to hear from ya....im not sure about that oil leak. also did you plan on tagging along with us to the spring bash? get ahold of me or drew or colton. also ill let you know more as i plan the haya's for 2011. i started a thread for that.

If you have a black-light, go to napa or car quest and grab some oil dye. Clean it up really well and put the dye in, then go for a short ride. When you get back, shine the black-light on it and the dye will be a fluorescent color and will make it easy to spot the source. If you don't have a black-light, you may be able to get one their. Some places will have the whole kit with the dye, black-light, and yellow glasses to make the dye show up better.

Each cylinder has a spark plug weep hole for water accumilation. Under each of these (around the plug and under the valve cover) is a little rubber ring similar to the gasket itself. Cost is $4 each.

If one of these rings are bad or pinched it may throw oil into the plug weep hole and look like it's coming out right below the header...under the header bolt ring.

EDIT:::this is for a GEN II, not sure which one you have...

He has gen1

Don't know about the Gen 1, sorry...actually to clarify, I was a little incorrect...instead of 4 separate rings there is one long gasket on the inside of the Gen II...still all the plugs go through this gasket and possible to leak into a plug hole and out the weep hole.

GASKET, HEAD COVER NO.2 $11.43

Star City Powersports' 2008 Suzuki Street Bike GSX1300R HAYABUSA Parts List

Might be worth looking at for the Gen 1, you'd think they might be similar

Don't know about the Gen 1, sorry...actually to clarify, I was a little incorrect...instead of 4 separate rings there is one long gasket on the inside of the Gen II...still all the plugs go through this gasket and possible to leak into a plug hole and out the weep hole.

GASKET, HEAD COVER NO.2 $11.43

Star City Powersports' 2008 Suzuki Street Bike GSX1300R HAYABUSA Parts List

Might be worth looking at for the Gen 1, you'd think they might be similar
+1.

If you have had the valve cover off for any reason, this definitely will be the problem. Happened to me and it is very difficult to get that cover back on without pinching that gasket.

Thanks for the info guys. After reading I ran back out to look and it seems that there is a small weep hole there ( 1 at each cylinder). Now I just need to look into getting her fixed. I should prolly start a new thread for this but any ideas why my bike would run super rich? Stock filter yosh slip ons. but if I put my hand over the pipe I get moisture spray on it and it smells like gas. also get bad fumes on longer rides to the point that my gear smells like fuel. Any chance the 2 are connected? the plug not firing well from the oil and fuel dumping out pipes? All of the PAR stuff is gone from bike.

Well... I think she is heading to the yard. Today I finished a long to do list, kinda. Installed new stator cover, oil change, fluid flush, hid's, switchbacks, new headlight housing, marker lights, and I was on my last part of installing my new paint... the tank. While it was off I cleaned it up under there and for some reason I looked in the head through the tb's to find a small pool of oil in cylinder number 1. This explains the oil coming from the exhaust on the 1 header tube. No loss of water, just oil but guessing its either something bottom end or in the head. Either way.... sad times
Posted via Mobile Device

im not mechanical ... Hope someone gives you some heads up

I was thinking ur exhaust crush gasket at that header was damaged or had loose bolts preventing a good seal showing up as a leak. That may explain the leak but would also show that ur rich on air/fuel ( bad tune or vacuum connections or sensor connections) or why is oil getting into combustion chamber indicating bigger problems.

Back