Oil Leak help - stator cable

celticBandit

Registered
Hi Guys,

I really need someones help on this. While changing the oil the other day I noticed an oil leak from the cable that comes out of the stator/alternator cover. The oil is not coming from around the gasket or the rubber but it looks like it is coming up through where the cables go through the rubber grommet. The cables have a nylon heat resistant insulation and it looks like the oil is wicking up through the nylon. (See the coloured cables in the picture)

Has anyone seen this happen?
Can you buy a new cable seperately? or does it come as part of the stator assembly?

I am losing only a little oil over time, it is not dripping, but the oil is wicking up the cable as far as the connector where it goes into the loom.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Tony

SDC11184_2.JPG

Thanks Mr Brown, It'd be interesting to see if anyone else sees this and if it's something to worry about. Mine's a '01 by the way.

I will be watching also....
It seemed more like a minor annoyance to me, rather than something to be alarmed about.

I will be watching also....
It seemed more like a minor annoyance to me, rather than something to be alarmed about.

Yep, a minor annoyance and it looks like it isn't coming out at idle but who knows whats happening when I'm redlining her. I'm gonna keep an eye on my oil levels and if it is only a slow leak then I'll leave it as is.

I noticed mine doing the same thing. Did you try Mike's suggestion Tony? And did it work or help?

Back