Oil leak, boost gauge leak, and suicidal air filter!?

Dr. Gonzo

Registered
Trying not to be a post ***** here... hopefully things will settle soon and will get some of these bugs worked out. ;)

1. I noticed today that when I flip my 'tattle-tale' switch on the boost gauge that it doesn't hold the top boost mark for long if at all. When I back off the throttle it slowly creeps down from max. Assuming a small leak in the line? Is this fairly common and/or and easy fix? Working as designed? I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it's the stock gauge that comes with the Hahn kit.

2. Oil leak :banghead: I'm not sure yet where it's coming from but it's on/around the blower. In searching I've seen many a post blaming oil leaks on the low mount of the turbo with the stock Hahn header. To make matters worse, I not only overfilled the oil just a bit (due to some questionable assistance from my spotter), but I also have the a$$ end of the bike jacked up since I was bottoming out. I would like to bring up the front to match, but I don't see that I have any travel on the triple tree and I believe the forks have been internally lowered. Kind of stuck on this one. Any idea where to look for the oil coming out if this is indeed the problem?

3. My giant K&N filter keeps falling off the turbo every few days. I pull into my garage, set the bike on the side stand, and it just falls on the floor. I've got the clamp cranked as much as possible, but just keep dropping off. I'm assuming it's the right filter, but it's got some sort of adapter cup on it to change the size so it fits the inlet. Does this sound right?

As always, thanks for the help guys!
Gonz

I would try to help but i dont know much about the hahn setup..but if that turbo is low on that header and u have the rear jacked up, that might be your problem..can u see where the oil is coming out of? Does it have a scavenger pump?
Can u post pics of that air cleaner and the fitting..?? Ya but somethings not right with that aircleaner, maybe u need a different reducer or something..should not have to crank down those clamps..

I've only had it a week or two so hard to say for sure, but I don't think it was dripping before adding oil and raising the rear. The oil was low when I got it so I added (a bit much). It seems like there's still a little dripping out and now the oil level is just slightly lower than half. I might try to lower the back just a little, but it's construction season here so have to be real careful with manhole covers sticking out. :oops: I can't see where it's coming out, but the filter itself seems like it's getting a fair amount of it. The inlet doesn't seem to have any inside though so not sure. Strange...

I'll try to get some pics of the filter and the reducer after the weekend. I should probably order a new one anyway as it's pretty fouled up. Maybe just a smaller filter without the chrome end would be lighter and less likely to push the eject button in my garage. I guess I shouldn't complain that much since it's picked a very good place to do it so far. :)

Thanks,
G

Trying not to be a post ***** here... hopefully things will settle soon and will get some of these bugs worked out. ;)

1. I noticed today that when I flip my 'tattle-tale' switch on the boost gauge that it doesn't hold the top boost mark for long if at all. When I back off the throttle it slowly creeps down from max. Assuming a small leak in the line? Is this fairly common and/or and easy fix? Working as designed? I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it's the stock gauge that comes with the Hahn kit.

2. Oil leak :banghead: I'm not sure yet where it's coming from but it's on/around the blower. In searching I've seen many a post blaming oil leaks on the low mount of the turbo with the stock Hahn header. To make matters worse, I not only overfilled the oil just a bit (due to some questionable assistance from my spotter), but I also have the a$$ end of the bike jacked up since I was bottoming out. I would like to bring up the front to match, but I don't see that I have any travel on the triple tree and I believe the forks have been internally lowered. Kind of stuck on this one. Any idea where to look for the oil coming out if this is indeed the problem?

3. My giant K&N filter keeps falling off the turbo every few days. I pull into my garage, set the bike on the side stand, and it just falls on the floor. I've got the clamp cranked as much as possible, but just keep dropping off. I'm assuming it's the right filter, but it's got some sort of adapter cup on it to change the size so it fits the inlet. Does this sound right?

As always, thanks for the help guys!
Gonz

Okay, regarding the oil leak, i wouldnt jack rear bike of the bike up, seems that your oil return from the turbo is not, well returning and staying in the turbo.
Now i dont know if the Hahn is anything like the RCC, but with the RCC i have a hose coming from the turbo into my oil pan, that is the return hose, the oil feeder comes from the (clutch Side of the block) other side.
If your rear is higher than your return cannot return oil to the pan, the oil stays in the turbo body then you get an oil leak if your bike is @ a stand still for too long.
You can open that hose and drain your oil from the turbo (also check to see if its blocked) and re-fit and see. but your bike must be leveled.
Just my 2cents.
hope it helps.

The Hahn kits are notorious for smoking, due to the oil level.
Okay, regarding the oil leak, i wouldnt jack rear bike of the bike up, seems that your oil return from the turbo is not, well returning and staying in the turbo.
Now i dont know if the Hahn is anything like the RCC, but with the RCC i have a hose coming from the turbo into my oil pan, that is the return hose, the oil feeder comes from the (clutch Side of the block) other side.
If your rear is higher than your return cannot return oil to the pan, the oil stays in the turbo body then you get an oil leak if your bike is @ a stand still for too long.
You can open that hose and drain your oil from the turbo (also check to see if its blocked) and re-fit and see. but your bike must be leveled.
Just my 2cents.
hope it helps.

No smoke at this point so hopefully that's good. I pulled the farings off and it's not obvious where the oil is coming from. Was all kind of dirty/oily/greasy. I wiped it all down so am planning to drive around the block 20 or 30 times tomorrow and see if I can figure it out. I'm a little concerned about the oil pan as it looks like it's "smooshed" in a bit. I suspect I wasn't the first to bottom it out. ??? BikeMaster, I wish I could level off the bike, but the front is kind chopped right now. If I don't keep the back end up I bottom out the oil pan on every bump in the road. Anyway, more to come on the oil issue.

On a positive note, when I pulled the faring I looked at the tattle tale switch and the vacuum lines practically fell off. Betting a buck or two of new hose and that issue is solved.

The fun continues,
G

Meh, little yes, little no. The driving season is so short here in Wi that if I got the RCC for my '07 and started working now, I'd likely be out of commission for the rest of it. Depending on what I find out on Wed, I may have a little fun yet this year. I will say it has been an adventure so far.

Who knows... Once I get a taste for riding a turbo bike on the '01, I could still go back and pick up the RCC for my '07. Keep the Hahn setup as a beater/track bike and the RCC as a street sleeper. Wife would probably cut my junk off, but hey, life is give and take.

G

So picked up a new air filter without the giant extension. However, the mount is offset and the the faring bumps into it now. I'd like to turn it more upward, but there's a little metal thing poking out on the turbo just above the impeller with a small rubber stopper. What exactly is this? Can I cut it off and/or plug it up? Also, there's one Allen head bolt just below the impeller that keeps the filter from mounting flush. Do you think I could remove it?

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/garage_attachment.php?id=5366

Thanks

Back