oil leak after winterizing 2010 busa

bikestlr

Registered
Oil leak when "winterizing" 2010 busa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Everyone.

I have a 2010 'Busa and I am really hoping I didnt mess something up while winterizing it.

I followed the procedures to the T in the manual.(1.run bike with some fuel stabilizer in tank 2. pull plugs, put teaspoon of oil in each bore. put in plugs, crank engine a few times. 3. fill engine right to top of filler hole with oil) I even used a syringe to measure the amount of oil to put in each cylinder.

I put the plugs back in, and cranked the engine a few times, like it says to do.

Later on a I noticed there was some oil on the floor. where I had her parked. I didnt think anything of it because i thought maybe i just spilled some.

So i wiped the oil off the floor and off the body cowling. So fast foreward to now i go to bring it back to life again.

I pulled the plugs, put some paper towel over the top of the spark plug holes, put the bike in 6th and turn the wheel (like it says in manual). Then i pulled the paper towel off and only 1 of them had oil on it and it wasnt very much. then, to my horror, i see oil on the floor and dripped down over the headers.

so my question is, did i blow something up by putting oil in the cylinders and then cranking the bike? if i did then why the hell does suzuki have it as a procedure in the manual? or is this normal? is there some kind of drain on the head for the oil to escape through?

I started the bike and let it run for about 10 mins and it smoked like crazy. then i shut it off, waited a while and started it up again. once again i let it run for about 10 mins. smoke was still bad but started to dimish. then i took the bike for about a 30 min ride. it is running perfect and seemed to have all its power although i really never tried it. (no more than 1/3 throttle and never over 7000 rpm.)

i came home and parked it. put some cardboard underneath and so far there is no oil on it. it has been about 1 1/2 hrs now.

i looked in around the engine everywhere and there was only one placed that looked like it was leaking oil. there is this little hex head bolt/plug on cylinder 4 and cylinder 1. as well, before i rode it looked like there was a little trail of oil comming from the collector tube on one cylinder.

I am really nervous i wrecked the engine. has anyone have any ideas, or ever had the same thing happen?

any help would be much appreciated.

hb1.jpg

hb2.jpg

You said you filled the crankcase right to the top of the filler hole. Did you remove that oil and refill to the middle of the sight window before you started the engine?

I think you may be somewhat anal in the winterizing procedure. I could understand using the procedure if it were for a several year storage, but I don't think you need to do everything listed for only a winterizing procedure. It would be normal for the motor to smoke on the startup as there is oil in the cylinders. Now that you have run it for some time and the smoke has gone away and the power is still there your motor is probably OK. I do question your "overfilling" the oil. Check the oil in the sight glass now and see if it is in the "normal" level. If not drain some out until it is. I would bet your motor is in good shape. Personally for winterizing , I add the Stabil, change the oil, hook up the battery tender and call it good.

I have never winterized my 09 using those methods.. seems a bit of overkill...

what oil did u fill the crankcase with?

Isn't that the pressure plug in the pics? I say torque that plug if any further problems.. IMO if it isn't leaking now I'd say ur fine. Hopefully

Rockethed using Tapatalk

I think you may be somewhat anal in the winterizing procedure. I could understand using the procedure if it were for a several year storage, but I don't think you need to do everything listed for only a winterizing procedure. It would be normal for the motor to smoke on the startup as there is oil in the cylinders. Now that you have run it for some time and the smoke has gone away and the power is still there your motor is probably OK. I do question your "overfilling" the oil. Check the oil in the sight glass now and see if it is in the "normal" level. If not drain some out until it is. I would bet your motor is in good shape. Personally for winterizing , I add the Stabil, change the oil, hook up the battery tender and call it good.
All sound advice! :thumbsup:

I dont see where you drained the oil after you filled it to the top :poke:

There is no need for that kind of stuff after a winter storage just so you know

Please don't winterize your bike like that anymore. In my 32 years of riding, all I do for the winter is put the battery tender on the battery and start the engine every 3 to 4 weeks. I keep the engine running until it warms up and then park it in the garage for a few more weeks. Come spring, the battery is fully charged and the bike is ready for another riding season.

I forgot to write that i drained the oil out and changed the filter, then refilled with about 3300 ml of fresh stuff BEFORE I started it.

The oil I used to fill to top was mobil 10W40, i figured it wasnt important the brand since i wasnt running the bike while it was in there.

its funny that everyone says its overkill to do this, my thoughts on that is why does suzuki say to do it if its not necessary?

either way, thanks for your suggestions guys.

.... start the engine every 3 to 4 weeks. I keep the engine running until it warms up and then park it in the garage for a few more weeks.

I live in northern canada and the bike stays in a UNheated garage. Its a long winter and the temperature outside is -25 to -40 for lots of it(naturally its not that cold in my garage, but it is cold in there) would it be safe to start it in that cold a temperature?

I live in northern canada and the bike stays in a UNheated garage. Its a long winter and the temperature outside is -25 to -40 for lots of it(naturally its not that cold in my garage, but it is cold in there) would it be safe to start it in that cold a temperature?

I think this question is beside the point. The real question is why would someone with the ability to manufacture a coherent sentence live in such conditions?

I mean, "-25 to -40 for lots of it"?

Really?

Great if you're into ice fishing and Polar Bears, but if you like riding motorcycles? Time to move I think!

Hey man. I'm in Nova Scotia. Don't start the bike in that cold of a temp. The oil is like molasses at those temps. Ur lucky the battery didn't freeze.
Here is what I did to the 09.
Fill it up with super. Dump stabil in the tank. Grease the chain. Put her up on stands. Take battery out and keep it on a tender. Cover the bike. When temps get up around 5-8 degrees it's good for a start. I let mine sleep all winter. No harm done.

When u start the bike in the minus temps that we normally get, ur valves starts talkin and won't shut up for a long time.

I forgot to mention. I have had busas in nova scotia for over 4 years now. I followed those steps each winter. Bikes still run perfect like the day I put them away wet :p

I think this question is beside the point. The real question is why would someone with the ability to manufacture a coherent sentence live in such conditions?

I mean, "-25 to -40 for lots of it"?

Really?

Great if you're into ice fishing and Polar Bears, but if you like riding motorcycles? Time to move I think!

Well depending on where he is really. I love our climate in nova scotia Canada. Winters are from late oct and end around mid April. Then we got a good blast of summer. I would miss the winter months if I lived somewhere else. It feels like the country Gets a good cleansing during winter and everything starts out fresh in the spring. Fresh greenery fresh water. It's not Canada without it :)

In michigan it gets pretty bad which is why this year I am looking into getting a heating source for the garage. either way all I do for my 08 is stabil in the fuel battery tender on the bike, jack stands, I or the wife starts it once a week.

Is it bad that in the 2 winters I've owned my Gen 2... I have NEVER done anything to winterize it?! Not even Sta-bil. I've never hooked a battery tender to it, or even charged the battery. Started about once a month in the winter, but that was it. It still runs like a champ. Is winterizing necessary, or just a cheap insurance for a trouble free bike?

is there some kind of drain on the head for the oil to escape through?

Yes , you can see the hole in the head casting under the exhaust port in your photo- Designed to drain water that may get into the sparkplug wells. Weeps oil out of those same holes when one or more of the sparkplug tower seals are leaking. Each of the four exhaust ports has one. I don't think you have a well seal leaking. Happened when filling the cylinders with oil.

219012d1304459008-oil-leak-after-winterizing-2010-busa-hb2.jpg

Last edited:
Back