Oil Filters

LCW

Registered
Hit 600 miles yesterday on the new busa, so I gathered up supplies for the first service. Since I hate going to the dealer and standing in line at the parts counter forever :drool:, I went to Cycle Gear and bought the appropriate Fram oil filter for my bike. Is there any verifiable reason I should have gotten the Suzuki filter instead?

:super:

Hit 600 miles yesterday on the new busa, so I gathered up supplies for the first service.  Since I hate going to the dealer and standing in line at the parts counter forever :drool:, I went to Cycle Gear and bought the appropriate Fram oil filter for my bike.  Is there any verifiable reason I should have gotten the Suzuki filter instead?

The only reason I can think of is engine longevity. If that's not important then I guess it's ok to use Fram. Hehehehehe... :laugh:

How about the first dealer service to keep your warranty intact? Don't know that there would be any difference between what you got and factory though. I don't believe Suzuki actually builds there own filters anyway, could be built by Fram?

'Train, you slay me!

But seriously, there's a reason to use the OEM.  Check out the following sites - there's interesting stuff here. Bottom line, if the valve inside doesn't open/close at the correct pressure, or the filter is too restrictive say, then you could starve your engine of oil... hence BT's comment regarding life expectancy.  Stand in line, it'll be less time then rebuilding/replacing your engine.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

How about the first dealer service to keep your warranty intact? Don't know that there would be any difference between what you got and factory though. I don't believe Suzuki actually builds there own filters anyway, could be built by Fram?
Once this bike hits 1000 miles, I'm taking it off the street, and it will become a 1/4 miler (that's my story anyway, the more I ride it, the less I'm liking that idea!). So I'm guessing the warranty wil be voided in more ways than not using the dealer for the first service, especially once the turbo shows up :devil:

I agree that Suzuki probably doesn't make their own filter, so I wouldn't mind finding out who does make them. From my side-by-side comparison to the Fram, I'd say it's not Fram, as the Suzuki filter had an O-ring seal, the Fram had the typical rubber ring seal you see on most oil filters. That explains the 2-full-turns tightening method.

So, the main concern seems to be the pressure at which the bypass valve opens to allow unfiltered oil to flow past the filter element, avoiding oil starvation. I'm guessing finding that spec would be a whole lot more trouble than just standing in line at the dealer for the Suzuki part. :sad:

So, the main concern seems to be the pressure at which the bypass valve opens to allow unfiltered oil to flow past the filter element, avoiding oil starvation.  I'm guessing finding that spec would be a whole lot more trouble than just standing in line at the dealer for the Suzuki part.   :sad:

Amen to that, brother!  

If I'm concerned about time, I call my dealer ahead of time and have him put my order together.. then it's just going straight to the cashier... A quick peak down her top and bing, bang, boom, I'm outta there.  Woo hoo...

Ok, Fram is in the trash can, factory filter is installed. Time for my post-600 mile ride, keep it under 8k. Hit the onramp, clicking gears at 8k, time to merge at...lessee, how fast am I going...120mph...that ought to do it. 400 more miles to see how the other half really lives...

Just a little add on. Ive been a mechanic for about 10 years and all filters are not created the same good choice on the factory filter.

Back