Oil Filter swap with right cowling in place?

Twobrothersbusa

Team Gixxer Racing; IDMBT #1
Donating Member
Registered
Has anyone ever changed their oil leaving the right side cowling in place?

I did the "abnormal clutch" service bulletin during this oil change so I had to remove the cowling any way. Removing and installing the cowling is way harder than oil changes or even doing a re-torque on the clutch spring support bolts.

Just curious to see if it could be done?

i did it on my first oil change, got tired of messing with it and just flexed it out enough to get the filter of.

I leave my cowl on and just remove the bottom bolt on the inside and the one to the rear and pull it out enough to fish out the filter. Down side is it makes a mess and its awkward working the filter in and out. If you leave the fairing on I suggest you use the K&N filter # KN-138 because it has a nut stamped into it so you can use a regular wrench to install and remove.

KN-138.jpg

Simply opening up one port on the right side allows you to change the oil without removing the fairing. Changing time is less then 10 minutes.

DSC01576 (Medium).JPG

DSC01577 (Medium).JPG

DSC01578 (Medium).JPG

DSC01579 (Medium).JPG

DSC01580 (Medium).JPG

DSC01581 (Medium).JPG

OT

You gotta show more fullsize pics of that color. I love the traditional Suzuki Blue/White...Good choice man.

Dude, that is freakin awesome! Cool color combo! Forgive the question but I have screen inserts in my fender openings and never considered getting through the hole with the filter. Did you mod the fender??

Last edited:
Yes, using 1/4" steel cutting wheel on the dremel. Ran tape on the fender so the permenant marker line could be seen and easily followed. Used a deburring tool to round the plastic edge and finished off with wet/dry sand paper and then polished the edge with a dry red shop rag to give it a polished edge.

Yes, using 1/4" steel cutting wheel on the dremel. Ran tape on the fender so the permenant marker line could be seen and easily followed. Used a deburring tool to round the plastic edge and finished off with wet/dry sand paper and then polished the edge with a dry red shop rag to give it a polished edge.

AWESOME MOD... :beerchug::cheerleader::bowdown:

Colors look great too....

Back