Oil Filter - Is this true?

Cuffee

Donating Member
Registered
My maintenance manual says to replace the oil filter every 11K miles after the first 600 miles filter change. It, also, says to replace the oil 3500 miles after the first 600 miles oil change. What do you think?

I don't have the manual with me right know, but I think its sooner than that. The filter gets changed every other time you change the oil. If you want to change it more often that won't hurt anything.

Oil and filter get changed every time on any vehicle of mine. I don't like the idea of putting "some" fresh oil in with the old, broken down oil hanging around in the filter. Probably more of an issue in the cars where the oil filter holds nearly a quart of oil, and yes, I know that there is still some old oil in the crankcase even if you change the filter, but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that I've gotten most of the old oil out.

Oil and filter get changed every time on any vehicle of mine.  I don't like the idea of putting "some" fresh oil in with the old, broken down oil hanging around in the filter.  Probably more of an issue in the cars where the oil filter holds nearly a quart of oil, and yes, I know that there is still some old oil in the crankcase even if you change the filter, but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that I've gotten most of the old oil out.
Ditto.

Many many years ago, I used to do oil flush treatments too (Wynn?) or something like that but it makes me a little uncomfortable to not be able to completely flush THAT stuff out afterwards. I'll take dirty oil over unknown chems any day.

--WAg--

When I change oil, I change oil filter.

You're not changing the oil because its breaking down, you're changing it because its dirty. The filter is key in keeping oil clean, so there ya go
cool.gif

You're not changing the oil because its breaking down, you're changing it because its dirty.  The filter is key in keeping oil clean, so there ya go  
cool.gif
Thats what i've sorta always thought..

everytime I go buy synthetic oil the dude keeps telling me that I don't need to change it that often because it'll never break down cuz it's synth..

it looks like crap when it comes out after 3000 miles... I'm sure it looks like mud at 6, and so on.

why leave all that dirt in there?

maybe should just switch to normal damn oil and he would stop reminding me.

Change the oil AND filter every 3000 - 3500...they aren't that pricey, so why not?
cool.gif

Oil and filter every 3k and/or every 3 months. Good thing I don't have a HD I'd have to put a new filter on at every stop. That could get prety spendy.

laugh.gif

I change the oil every 3000 and the filter every 6000. I figure if the manual says the filter is good for 11k, changing it every 6k is doing no damage. Also, this cuts down the task of taking that damn fairing off every 3000 miles.

URBAN COWBOY

I change the filter everytime because of using synthetic but if I used dino and changed the oil say , every 2k miles and filter every 6k " or riding season " I would at least unscrew the filter and let the captured oil up in the cooler drain out .

Try this test . After all the oil has drained from the sump , unscrew the filter and see how much more oil comes out . This is one of the reason oil filters are manufactured with anti-drain back valves . These keep the oil system primed .

<!--EDIT|mountainmotor
Reason for Edit: "Typo's"|1112963640 -->

I change the oil every 3000 and the filter every 6000. I figure if the manual says the filter is good for 11k, changing it every 6k is doing no damage. Also, this cuts down the task of taking that damn fairing off every 3000 miles.

URBAN COWBOY
I'm with you there Cowboy.....I love sportbikes for the power, but HATE all those damn plastic pieces you gotta pull off to get anything done
mad.gif
.....thats one of the things I really miss about naked bikes.

Back