OIL FILTER CHANGE QUESTION...

URBAN COWBOY

Registered
Hey are any of you guys following the manual when it comes to installing the oil filter. It says to mark the top dead center and turn two (2) full turns once the filter first makes contact to the mounting surface. I've done this twice before and by the second turn it has alot of resistance. I've heard stories where people were striping the filter doing this. Most of the time you are just supposed to hand tight the oil filter. I wonder why Suzuki requires this?

URBAN COWBOY

Two full turns should put it pretty snug. I've done three so far and no problems with stripping. You might want to look into getting the filter wrench from the dealer. Only like 6 bucks and makes the job a little bit easier.

don't follow those instructions....

just get it as tight as you can with your hand. Unless you're an incredibly strong d00d, its worked out for me perfectly everytime.

I don't think you need to worry about stripping the oil filter threads unless you really crank on it. Be careful with the drain plug though.

Two full turns should put it pretty snug. I've done three so far and no problems with stripping. You might want to look into getting the filter wrench from the dealer. Only like 6 bucks and makes the job a little bit easier.

fstbusa: That's what most of my friends say (don't follow the manual), just put it on hand tight.

Big Wall: Stripped drain pan. Been there done that. That was a $300 oil change. Now I only snug the drain bolt down with a regular wrench, no more torque wrench for me.

URBAN COWBOY
Yeah I have a Suzuki filter wrench and have no problem putting the filter on. I was just wondering why Suzuki says to tighten the filter so tight.

If you don't follow the instructions, then MAKE sure you check for leaks often. Run out of oil, and engine goes boom.

Use a KN filter it has a nut at the end and makes life very easy puting on and then taking off in the future.

Back