Oil drain plug

jonhpt2001

Registered
I'm in the process of getting my baby out for the season and I noticed a small drop of oil hanging from the drain plug, I thought hmmm, maybe I didn't tighten it all the way when I changed the oil at the end of last season...So I went to tighten it and it won't tighten all the way...does this mean it is stripped? If so, is it really a problem to fix?

Thanks

Either the bolt is stripped or the case is , I hate to say it but it is most likely the case

wow.gif
Uh oh .... it spins .....
sad.gif

it doesn't spin like it is going to fall out...but certainly wont tighten...is this going to cost me a lot of $$$

just go down to your loical parts store , bring the bolt, and tell then you want a helicoil kit . the kit comes with everything you need and instructions , it will be fixed under 15 bucks

if you take it to a shop they are3 goin to bang you for hundreds for a new pan !

either way it will get fixed , it s just a matter of how deep your pockets are ?

good luck
john

can you do a helicoil for your drain plug with limited mechnical skills? Obviously since I stripped it in the first place
rock.gif

just go down to your loical parts store , bring the bolt, and tell then you want a helicoil kit . the kit comes with everything you need and instructions , it will be fixed under 15 bucks

if you take it to a shop they are3 goin to bang you for hundreds for a new pan !  

either way it will get fixed , it s just a matter of how deep your pockets are ?

good luck
                    john
+1

the kit comes with directions , get a new bolt all will be good and the threads will be twice as strong , for under 15 bucks what do yuo have to loose ? it is very easy to install !

good luck
john
Be sure to remove the pan and make sure you get any loose debris out of there before reassembling the bike.

A few small peices of metal "could" cause a problem.

Better safe than sorry.

After you do all of that get a torque wrench and tightn to spec so it doesnt happen again or with any other bolt on the bike !

Back