Oil drain plug washer

Willie G

Registered
The local dealer was unfortunately out of drain plug washers today when I went in - (WTF???) anyway, the parts guy sent me down the street to Advance Auto Parts for help.

Back by the oil display they had a replacement drain plug and washer section. Found an OIL-TITE brand three-pack of M14 crush washers (#65310) for $2.14 OTD.

Suzuki's price was $1.65 each.

cool.gif

The local dealer was unfortunately out of drain plug washers today when I went in - (WTF???) anyway, the parts guy sent me down the street to Advance Auto Parts for help.

Back by the oil display they had a replacement drain plug and washer section.  Found an OIL-TITE brand three-pack of M14 crush washers (#65310) for $2.14 OTD.

cool.gif
Okay, learn me. I've changed my oil just by removing the drain plug and just putting it back in (w/out stripping it).

I never saw a washer. Should there be? What am I missing here?

Well, since you've put it all back together it will be hard to see, but there is a crush washer on the drain plug - looks a lot like a spark plug washer if you've seen those (not used on a tapered seat plug, however).

You might want to use one of the parts microfiche services available on the web - look at the exploded diagram of the oil pan and there it is.

I use JT Motorcycle Parts: JT Link

The drain plug is item 6, PN 09247-14036; the washer is item 7, PN 09168-14004.

HTH.

Well, since you've put it all back together it will be hard to see, but there is a crush washer on the drain plug - looks a lot like a spark plug washer if you've seen those (not used on a tapered seat plug, however).

You might want to use one of the parts microfiche services available on the web - look at the exploded diagram of the oil pan and there it is.

I use JT Motorcycle Parts: JT Link

The drain plug is item 6, PN 09247-14036; the washer is item 7, PN 09168-14004.

HTH.
How often/when does the crush washer need to be replaced?

It is just a metal washer that appears to be part of the plug. It took me a couple of times to even know it was there. I just changed my oil today in matter of fact, still works good.

crush washer is supposed to be changed with every time you remove the plug... most people dont bother but it can cause your drain plug to leak a bit. The washer, when brand new has a "lip" on it but after you use it, it flatens out. Is why most people dont even know its there.

crush washer is supposed to be changed with every time you remove the plug... most people dont bother but it can cause your drain plug to leak a bit.  The washer, when brand new has a "lip" on it but after you use it, it flatens out.  Is why most people dont even know its there.
Next question: Is this some special washer only from Suzuki dealers or is it a generic washer that can be picked up from any HoPo?

Any sizing/type measurements?

Thanks for the tip Wille! I'll go buy a pack as i'm about to do an oil change myself!! Amazing how a Suzuki dealership can be out of such a part... they didnt even have header gaskets when i went to buy some... i've had to order oil filters as well...

I change that washer every time. It can be a bit*h to get it off some times but nothing a pair of clippes won't handle.

Nice to know it's generic enough to get without having to go to the dealers for 'em.

--Wag--

I noticed today that Auto-Zone carries the same line of parts (Oil-Tite) as Advance. This particular store did not have #65310 but that may be a store stocking issue.

AZ also had (and I purchased) Prestone DOT 4 brake fluid.

cool.gif

Back by the oil display they had a replacement drain plug and washer section.  Found an OIL-TITE brand three-pack of M14 crush washers (#65310) for $2.14 OTD.

cool.gif
Thanks for the tip! Picked some up at Advance yesterday, changed oil tonight. Always rocks to walk in with part #'s.

Back