Oil Consumption

CalgaryBusa

Registered
So have any of you had issues with your bike using oil? After 2000 km of riding on an oil change (1236 miles) the oil peep glass shows no oil level. I have not yet added any oil to see how much is required. Obviously oil consumption will happen on any engine, especially hi revving bike engines. Just wondering if any of you have experienced the same?

CB

With 10,000 miles mine uses zero. Changed to synthetic 5000 miles ago and is still completely full.
smile.gif

(tinbender0 @ Jul. 28 2007,16:04) did you check it with the bike upright???
+1 If your bike is not on a level surface and the bike is not standing streight up the sight glass will not show an oil level at all. My 05 has 34K miles and does not use a drop between oil changes.

+1 on the level check and you have to wait about 3 minutes after you turn the engine off, then check the oil (per owner's manual).

I change mine every 3000 miles and have never needed to add any between changes
beerchug.gif

I just changed my oil at 500 miles with no oil burn.  I had the same situation after changing my oil; i.e., the oil was barely registering in the window and I knew I had put in the correct amount.  After getting input from those here on the board, I realized my bike was not perfectly straight/centered - I had it on the side stand.  After putting it up on its rear jack stand so it was perfectly centered, I gave it some time for all the oil to settle, I checked again and sure enough, the oil registered exactly in the middle of the window.  So, make sure your bike is perfectly centered and give it some time and check the window again to see how its registered.  Strongly suggest you do this before adding oil as you don't want to overfill.

(georgiabusa_05 @ Jul. 28 2007,14:44) mine uses none. I use Amsoil.
Ditto...........
cool.gif

All these Amsoil testimonies.......just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.........not that there aren't other quality synthetics out there as well...........well a couple.........just the same I'm feelin' FUZZY !!!!!!

Back