Oil consumption high

Rdx@busa

Registered
Hi guys, needed help in pinpointing the cause of excessive oil consumption . Today found oil level below low mark. Filled up almost 500 ml till the Full mark. Checked for oil leakage from oil hoses, oil cooler , clutch cover gasket. Nothing . Exhaust is not smokey. Please help in finding the cause . Thanks:please:

I read that checking the oil with the mark required the bike to be straight up. When I have mine standing straight up, the oil is where it's supposed to be. On the stand, I can't see any oil.

Well I would start with a compression check, however no smoke is strange. It could be blowing out of the engine somewhere at higher RPMs. You might take the plastic off and check for stains on the inside of the fairings around the engine. With an engine that shares engine oil with the transmission there is not many places for it to go other than out of the engine or get burned. You might also change the coolant and see if there is oil in the coolant system.

1/2 a quart of oil, some vehicles have a normal oil level. If you overfill the bike very quickly it goes to its normal level and stays there until your next oil change. If you had leaked a 1/2 quart of oil in two months you would have a nice oil spot where you park. Also make sure that you check the oil the same way everytime you check it. It doesn't take much lean angle to go from low to full from my experience.

If its not leaking externally, (verified by looking over the entire engine/trans assembly) then the only other place to go is internal. Check the coolant ( at the highest point, i.e. radiator) for an oil slick over the top. If thats okay, suspect worn rings.

Best

-D

Thanks a lot guys . I'll check for two things . oil leaking into the coolant ,secondly smoky exhaust at high rpm. Remedy for the second is the rings. For the first the head gasket ??

Back