Oil change tonight

monster

Wherever I May Roam
Donating Member
Registered
Do your bikes get louder and run rougher when an oil change is needed? I've put 2000 miles on the bike since I bought it at the end of June. The previous owner changed it before selling it to me but I don't know how many miles were on it. He used Golden Spectra (not synthetic) It looked pretty clean. I rode 331 miles Monday through the mountains of Vermont & New York so I immigine that was pretty tough on the engine. The oil is dark brown (you can still see through it a little bit) but it idols a little rough and the motor sounds a little louder then usual and it isn't shifting as smooth. I'm assuming an oil change will be the cure. I only have 6800 miles on the bike. And while I'm at it I'm changing the plugs as well. I'm going to try Maxima Maxum 4 synthetic blend and a new stick filter & stock plugs. I'd appreciate any feedback from you guys. Thanks in advance.

Oil, probably needs to be changed, but at 6800, you aren't that far away from a throttlebody sync... might want to look at that....

Thanks Shawn. I'll get a quote from the stealership tonight when I pick up my parts.

(thismonsterlives @ Sep. 07 2006,06:11) Do your bikes get louder and run rougher when an oil change is needed?  I've put 2000 miles on the bike since I bought it at the end of June.  The previous owner changed it before selling it to me but I don't know how many miles were on it.  He used Golden Spectra (not synthetic) It looked pretty clean.  I rode 331 miles Monday through the mountains of Vermont & New York so I immigine that was pretty tough on the engine.  The oil is dark brown (you can still see through it a little bit) but it idols a little rough and the motor sounds a little louder then usual and it isn't shifting as smooth.  I'm assuming an oil change will be the cure. I only have 6800 miles on the bike.  And while I'm at it I'm changing the plugs as well.  I'm going to try Maxima Maxum 4 synthetic blend and a new stick filter & stock plugs.  I'd appreciate any feedback from you guys.  Thanks in advance.
All but synthetic should be changed at 1500 miles tops!! I find the shift is a bit diff when i get over 1000.. They say most dino oils are shot after 1500 in a wet clutch trans lubed bike engine!!! Blend is just a bit more. Only the full synth should be run longer, but not much!! By the way looking at the appearance of oil color means nothing! its the TBN that is left. Never noticed it running any diff, or temp any higher like i hear some sayin.
rock.gif

Replaced my plugs last week @7,500 miles as recommended by the manual ....they looked brand new . Thinking of running a little longer next time . What you guys think ?

Your busa will let you know when it's time to change the oil for sure. They shift harder, make a little more racket, and just arn't as smooth. On my bike, I change the oil every 2500-3000 mi. Another thing that will effect the smoothness of your busa is the chain. You need to keep the chain well lubricated and clean. I lube mine with chain wax every 200-500 mi. and clean it with kerosene every 500 mi. or so. I have 24K mi. on my 05 with the orig. chain and sprockets. The busa is known for the chain getting loose, especially when they are lnewer. I thought the manual said to change the plugs at 15 K mi. Just my .02

(Warputer @ Sep. 07 2006,06:45) Replaced my plugs last week @7,500 miles as recommended by the manual ....they looked brand new .  Thinking of running a little longer next time . What you guys think ?
Yeah, same here......changed mine out at 7000 miles and had to force myself to throw them away, all looked almost new! But since I went through all the hassle of getting to them, I put new ones in anyway(OEM).

yeah i hiy 16k today orginal plugs need to replace chain + sprockets peplaced at 12K and oil every 2500-3500 runs great but i put on 1K-2K a month

Getting ready to change my oil, filter and plugs myself. Encouraging to hear the little maintenance these awesome machines require, I like it much better than my Camaro.
Any recommendations on oil filters? K&N, Suzuki OEM, or
rock.gif
Also I am looking at the Maxum 4 Syn oil as well. And NGK Iridium plugs.

Charlie

+1 on the TB synch.

Oil change every 3K miles.

Chain clean every 600 miles.

Wax chain at the end of every ride, no matter how short.

Plugs every 7K miles.

TB synch about every 7K miles, too.

You're low mileage, releatively speaking so you probably don't need to check tappet clearances.

That's what I do. Mostly just go by the manual but some things, like a TB synch, I'll do ahead of time if I can hear it idling rough.

--Wag--

Oil change went well. I had one plug (cyl 1) with a tiny bit of oil on it, don't know why. The other 3 looked fine. The bike runs smoother now. Thank god. I definatly want to get the t-bodys synched. The stealership quoted me $125 and I could get the bike back the same day.

Back