Oil change question

cycleman

Registered
I'm ready to do the first oil change and not really looking forward to removing all the cowling pieces. Somewhere a while back I remember reading that there was a way to get to the oil filter without removing all the plastics. Now I can't locate that thread. Anybody clue me in on any shortcuts? I've read about guys breaking the clips off of the panels when trying to remove them and I want to avoid that risk if possible.

it is a sticky - a must for your first removal. be patient.

I'm ready to do the first oil change and not really looking forward to removing all the cowling pieces. Somewhere a while back I remember reading that there was a way to get to the oil filter without removing all the plastics. Now I can't locate that thread. Anybody clue me in on any shortcuts? I've read about guys breaking the clips off of the panels when trying to remove them and I want to avoid that risk if possible.

Just remember be VERY patient, I broke off one plastic bracket but to my luck it wasnt really "needed" so when I put it back it fit like a glove.

Again, be patient, its fairly easy, its a pain in the ass, but its easy.

this was a "bastid" for me to figure out the 1st time so the best advice i could pass on is, when re- installing the side cowl, start from the top front and work your way down and back. you should slide the side cowl on the plastic rod that is located under the "turn signal" area first and then button that up from top to the bottom where the front wheel is to line everything up nicely. yeah, it's a bit confusing but you'll understand what i mean once you start messing with it. good luck!

The busa is a plastic nightmare :banghead: I run sysnthetic oil with a factory filter and long life coolant, and change the oil filter every 2 oil changes like the manual recommends, so my plastics don't come off very often....just the way I like it :thumbsup: Some guys have said you can loosen the lower fasteners, and pry the side panel out enough to reach the filter without having to remove the whole thing. If I were a constant oil changer, I'd seriously consider trying to tastefully make some kind of oil filter access hole in the side panel.......maybe something with a removable cover/screen :laugh:

The busa is a plastic nightmare :banghead: I run sysnthetic oil with a factory filter and long life coolant, and change the oil filter every 2 oil changes like the manual recommends, so my plastics don't come off very often....just the way I like it :thumbsup: Some guys have said you can loosen the lower fasteners, and pry the side panel out enough to reach the filter without having to remove the whole thing. If I were a constant oil changer, I'd seriously consider trying to tastefully make some kind of oil filter access hole in the side panel.......maybe something with a removable cover/screen :laugh:

This is the way i did mine the first time i changed my oil. I took the bottom fasteners out and out the filter came. The next time i took it all off just to see and its really not that bad. I have yet to get the left side off. I tried and it became to much of a hassle so i gave up.

I just came back fomr my oil change. Definitely better then my first time, still its an absolute nightmare when youre pulling on the plastic for it to pop out, I thought i was gonna break it in 8 places. Fortunately it all went smoothly :) Nothing but riding for the next 2.5k miles.

after you get all the bottom fasteners etc... loose/off pull the top rear of the fairing out to pull the peg out of the grommet (it is just above the radiator cap in pic #11 of the power point in the fairing removal thread) once that peg is out slide the fairing foward instead of just pulling it down the slots that the fairing "clip" into are tapered on the front edge so if you slide it forward about an inch the fairing will slide down and out.

hope that makes sense and helps.

it takes about 27min me to change oil and filter to K8 (full R77 exhaust)

just clocked that time last weekend on my friends 18000km service

Damn. And I thought taking the fairing off my '03 was a pain in the ass...good lord.

I had heard it was a nightmare, but it was actually easier than my '06. Then I read all of the thread. So next time I'll skip the part with the bolt.

Just Take Off the Bolt that holds the Bottom Piece of the Fairing Next to the Back of The Exhaust. Pop the Rubber Piece out and slide the Old Filter Between the Bottom of the Fairing and Engine. Re-Install the New Filter in the Opposite Way............ Drain and Repalce Oil. 15 Minutes MAX.......................:thumbsup:

And don't forget to line the top plastic inners with masking tape! Maybe even go one step further (if you're anal about scratches like I am) and run a strip of tape along where the top of the cowl meets the upper piece. Oh, you might want to also dab a little vaseline on a Q-tip and coat the inside of the grommets for easier removal next time.

Back