Oil change on Gen 2 2017

Zee

Registered
So after weeks of trying to make an appointment with this particular dealer in Auburn, Mass (such an ass) I decided to do the oil change myself. I have a 2017 busa that has 4500 miles on it. Never did something like this before so was kind of nervous but things went pretty Smooth and well. Taking the fairing off was the easiest part (at least for me). Filter took some time tho cause I had no specific tool for it. Used suzuki's genuine oil filter and Ecstar r9000 full synthetic. I ordered the kit from amazon and the dealer who shipped the products sent me the wrong washer size so I put the old one back. Do you guys think that's a mistake or could be a future problem? Well, once done with everything I went for a short ride and could feel the difference. Smooth shifting, less vibration oh man that awesome feeling.
Checked again this morning no leakage but oil level went down just A LITTLE.
Any inputs or suggestions are welcome from you guys..

20200621_164648.jpg

20200621_165701~2.jpg

So after weeks of trying to make an appointment with this particular dealer in Auburn, Mass (such an ass) I decided to do the oil change myself. I have a 2017 busa that has 4500 miles on it. Never did something like this before so was kind of nervous but things went pretty Smooth and well. Taking the fairing off was the easiest part (at least for me). Filter took some time tho cause I had no specific tool for it. Used suzuki's genuine oil filter and Ecstar r9000 full synthetic. I ordered the kit from amazon and the dealer who shipped the products sent me the wrong washer size so I put the old one back. Do you guys think that's a mistake or could be a future problem? Well, once done with everything I went for a short ride and could feel the difference. Smooth shifting, less vibration oh man that awesome feeling.
Checked again this morning no leakage but oil level went down just A LITTLE.
Any inputs or suggestions are welcome from you guys..

View attachment 1621447
New washer...whats that for? Kiddin' you'll be fine.On my 5th Busa,changed the washer occasionally.:laugh:
You lost a little oil 'cause the new oil filter filled up.Top up to fill mark in sight glass.Good to go.:thumbsup:
Just never over tighten that bolt,it can strip.Change oil when its hot,things like that.
Rubb.

Band-aids!
+1 @rubbersidedown
Drain plug (crush) washers really are essential replacement but don't sweat it til it leaks, and even then, it shouldn't be much of a leak. When's your next change? Another 4500 mi? How long will that be? Because if another 4500 mi <= 6 months, wait it out, keep an eye. If >6 mos, consider a sooner oil change. The only thing that would hurt is your wallet - and maybe the environment

New washer...whats that for? Kiddin' you'll be fine.On my 5th Busa,changed the washer occasionally.:laugh:
You lost a little oil 'cause the new oil filter filled up.Top up to fill mark in sight glass.Good to go.:thumbsup:
Just never over tighten that bolt,it can strip.Change oil when its hot,things like that.
Rubb.
Hahahaha understood. Thank you

Band-aids!
+1 @rubbersidedown
Drain plug (crush) washers really are essential replacement but don't sweat it til it leaks, and even then, it shouldn't be much of a leak. When's your next change? Another 4500 mi? How long will that be? Because if another 4500 mi <= 6 months, wait it out, keep an eye. If >6 mos, consider a sooner oil change. The only thing that would hurt is your wallet - and maybe the environment
Next change is after 3500 mi I believe. Okay got it. Thank you for the suggestions man.

Great work, and inspiring to me as I have never touched my bikes. I changed the oil on my cars for a very long time, and even remember being terrified until a friend taught me and then it was nothing. That said the day I remove fairings will be a weird day.

Oh and kudos also for getting the correct year and color. So many get that wrong, but I try not to judge them.

T
Great work, and inspiring to me as I have never touched my bikes. I changed the oil on my cars for a very long time, and even remember being terrified until a friend taught me and then it was nothing. That said the day I remove fairings will be a weird day.

Oh and kudos also for getting the correct year and color. So many get that wrong, but I try not to judge them.
Thanks man appreciate it

@Zee

sounds a bit as if you have no manual.

if you havn´t use rubb´s link

the gen2 manual , you can find by rubb´s link above, is the fundamentally necessary foundation ( mechanical issues/repairs/maint.) for ALL gen2 even they have ABS.
without the manual it is like shooting in the dark / walking on a mine field watching the sky.

for the ABS espacially you can´t find a paper description (manual) anywhere - only on a cd/dvd from 2013 and this only works with windows xp.

i got this cd in 2014 and its a shame that suzuki does NOT make it fit for win10 where i moved to two years later.
to get this suzuki-cd running you need, i suppose, a virtual xp AND at same "machine" an own browser for xp.

Reactions: Zee
@Zee

sounds a bit as if you have no manual.

if you havn´t use rubb´s link

the gen2 manual , you can find by rubb´s link above, is the fundamentally necessary foundation ( mechanical issues/repairs/maint.) for ALL gen2 even they have ABS.
without the manual it is like shooting in the dark / walking on a mine field watching the sky.

for the ABS espacially you can´t find a paper description (manual) anywhere - only on a cd/dvd from 2013 and this only works with windows xp.

i got this cd in 2014 and its a shame that suzuki does NOT make it fit for win10 where i moved to two years later.
to get this suzuki-cd running you need, i suppose, a virtual xp AND at same "machine" an own browser for xp.

Hmmmm.....
I have a full manual 13-17 with abs section in a fully searchable pdf format. I printed the 13+ sections out and added to the base 08 manual.. Linux/ Win10

Reactions: Zee
Back