Oil change...local shop or dealership?

84Ninja

Registered
My '99 is due for an oil change and other routine work. I know this is not a critical question, but in terms of them taking good care of the bike, would it be better to take her to a dealership? I would hang around and wait for it to be done, btw. (Btw, I had a local guy do some small cosmetic damage last time I brought her into him). Thanks..

how about your garage. takes one wrench and an allen to do an oil change.

how about your garage. takes one wrench and an allen to do an oil change.

+100!
Sorry...but this is a no brainer. It's really quite simple. Don't let the fairings intimidate you.

Any time I can avoid anyone else especially a joker at a stealership taking my plastics on & off is a good thing!

One of the few things I've done on my own.. It's pretty straightforward. Bought an oil filter wrench at an autoparts store, oil and filter from the local motorcycle shop and voila! Some of the guys in the forum have warned about stripping oil drain plug... good luck

Self - lots of info out there I am sure there are plenty of guys with your uear bike who can guide you, cheaper, you get to see your own bike closer and you will learn a few things along the way

I agree with everyone "do it yourself". I wouldn't let anyone work on my bike, too many idiots........

and replace it with a K&N oil filter. built in bolt head on the top of the filter, so you can fit a wrench in there to loosen it up.

I'm blessed with an excellent parts service shop 1/2 mile up the road from my house, but I still do oil changes, wheels off/on, etc.., myself.
It just isn't that hard. Oil changes don't even require a big investment in tools.
As for the stealership, I wouldn't let any of them around here touch my bike. No, never. I've seen how they do stuff.:Oo:

it depends on if the guy only does a oil change,I o a bit more for my customers they never see but that's just me...A mechanic may notice an issue before it gets worse if he does more than just change the oil and if you don't know bikes well get a manual and learn it..

Thanks very much, bros!! :beerchug: I considered doing it myself, but after doing a search here and seeing all the headaches that many have gone through I had just given up on doing it myself. Since there is a strong consensus here perhaps I will go for it. Will get the necessary tools and do it next weekend.

Thanks again, each of you guys :beerchug:

I would do the oil change myself. The fairings are not all that bad. The first time I took my fairings off I thought it would be a pain, but it turned out to be relativly easy. Just take your time when you take the fairings off for the first time and everything will go great.

Visit your local bike night and ask around for a decent shop to take it to. Word of mouth is generally best.

I would do the oil change myself. The fairings are not all that bad. The first time I took my fairings off I thought it would be a pain, but it turned out to be relativly easy. Just take your time when you take the fairings off for the first time and everything will go great.

You can read and write, so you can do the oil on your baby :thumbsup:

20 minute job once you get use to it. Do it yourself, its good to get to know your own bike. Now I dont let anyone else take my plastics off without me around. I paid way too much for the painted dash panels for someone to destroy them with inconsiderate removal/installation. If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself!!:rulez::thumbsup:

Ok, I'm convinced! Will do myself. I heard so many others before cursing and swearing about the fairing removal, bolt stripping, etc.. Will write up a report after this weekend! Thanks again..

Strife- Thanks. I tried this and got a guy who beat up both of my bikes after I told him to please be extra careful. I gave him another chance and he did it again! :( Its so hard to find a mechanic that respects your wishes.

Ok, I'm convinced! Will do myself. I heard so many others before cursing and swearing about the fairing removal, bolt stripping, etc.. Will write up a report after this weekend! Thanks again..

Strife- Thanks. I tried this and got a guy who beat up both of my bikes after I told him to please be extra careful. I gave him another chance and he did it again! :( Its so hard to find a mechanic that respects your wishes.

The fairings are easy. No big deal. As for the bolt stripping issue, just don't muscle it. It doesn't take 100 lb ft to seal the oil pan. If you have a torque wrench you can use that to remove any doubt, but it's not necessary.

What most are saying...do it yourself. I've never let a shop do that on my Busa...

Back