Ohio Supreme Court ruling

jch364

Registered
I know that for the vast majority of the members here, this will now mean a great deal but I wish to just share a little joy to all. First the back ground

The City of Dayton along with a few other cities in Ohio Have or had what was called a residency requirement for the employees. Meaning that they must live in the city. This rule is categorically unconstitutional. I have believed this all my career. The state had passed an amendment to the state constitution, as i understand it, that had made it illegal to enslave employees like this. It was passed a year or 2 ago. The city of Dayton challenged this rule and warned that they would fire anyone who moved out of the city. In short, we went to court. In the end the Supreme court ruled that the law that the state passes was constitutional and that Dayton and all other cities that had this rule were done.

Now we all have the same right to live were we want as much as anyone else. It is a great feeling. It wont affect me that much cause i got 20 years on now and I just bought a house last year. I love my home and dont have any intention of moving but it is more for the younger folks just starting out in there careers. THey can live were they want to . Send their kids to a good public school system instead of the horrible public school system that Dayton has. Live in the country if you want.

Finally my constitutional right to live free has been honored by the government. Its about time. :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

nice :beerchug:

and yes there is nothing to do in Dayton, I've been here for months on a project :whistle:

:beerchug:

cool. I am happy for you. I have to live within 30 minutes of the hospital because I take call. But I don't really have to prove this other than getting to the hospital within 30 minutes when they call me. But this was discussed when i got hired so it doesn't bother me.

I grew up in Piqua and remember this rule affecting some of my friends parents. Glad it finally got resolved. :thumbsup:

Hey Zukracer, you ever get back to Dayton let me know. I have plenty of places to go for entertainment. It ain't LA or Atlanta, but we make it work. :beerchug:

Hey Zukracer, you ever get back to Dayton let me know. I have plenty of places to go for entertainment. It ain't LA or Atlanta, but we make it work. :beerchug:

I'm in dayton right now... and next week :beerchug:

Finally my constitutional right to live free has been honored by the government.
I am glad they ruled the way they did but choosing where your home is located is not your "right to live free", it is just one small fraction of freedom. And your government didn't honor anything, they were ordered to by your state supreme court.

:poke:
I used to work for Damon in Alliance Ohio, but live in Mishawaka Indiana about 5 hours away, but all my customers where in mishawaka anyway...lol

Back