Oh no it's Painting time again!

Bofh_uk

Registered
A few years ago I spent a year in my garage painting my old Triumph Speed Triple. I had never painted before so decided to go for something super hard :-)

I used Alsa Corp Miror Chrome paint, some of you guys might know of their paints being a US company. To say it was a hard learning curve would be an understatement.

I thought I'd never attempt it again, then I started buying Busa bodywork and now I have a complete set in the garage waiting to be attacked.

It nearly cost me my missus the last time I did this, and it nearly sent me mental lol. But yesterday for some unknown reason I went at it again and started on the tank. I went through to the metal whilst trying to get the decals off so now it's all going back to bare metal.

As far as I'm concerned it's going to be black, very black, as deep as I can get it and as flat as a mirror and dripping wet.

I'm tempted to go for some bonkers Alsa custom paint but my heart tells me black is the way to go.

Anyone else painted their own ride?

A few pix of the Triumph during and after

Image029.jpg

Image052.jpg

Image040.jpg

Image029.jpg

Image052.jpg

Image040.jpg

Good luck on this endeavor. Hopefully it won't be as demanding or time-consuming as the last job, but I'm betting it will. :laugh:

Must feel good to know you did it yourself! Triumph looks really nice--great job! Keep us updated on the Busa--progress pics are always welcome.

go for it , remember its all in the preparation the paintings the easy part , just dont rush it .

good luck :beerchug:

I'm a painter by trade. Hit me up if you have any questions. Bikes are easy. Just a little more steps if its down to bare plastic or metal.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm a painter by trade. Hit me up if you have any questions. Bikes are easy. Just a little more steps if its down to bare plastic or metal.
Posted via Mobile Device

You might regret that offer my friend :laugh: I always forget what I'm doing and will probably drive you mad, but cheers for the offer.

Thanks for the comments re the Triumph, it certainly was a hard thing to do as a first attempt at painting, and I would certainly have prefered a booth to paint in rather than having to build a tent in the garage and hold my breath!!

Anyhow, here's a few pics of today's arm aching hard work. I have to say the paint on these Busa's is a bugger to get off. I managed to go straight through to the metal whilst trying to remove the decals so I had to hammer it all back and hit it with some etching primer. I now have one arm twice the size of the other after all that rubbing down.

Etching Primer
Primer.jpg

Then a coat of Filler Primer, think I'll have to put another heavy coat on tomorrow before a flat back.
Filler.jpg

I'm knackered.

Primer.jpg

Filler.jpg

Cheer's Big Guy, Alsa do make some amazing paint but sadly when you clear coat the Miror Chrome is loses about 30% of it's shine and goes from a mirror finish to a kind of stainless steel look.

If you were going for the total chrome look they do a better chrome system but it's not paint and certainly not something you can do yourself, it's more of a 3 part chemical process than painting, very cleaver stuff though.

ChromeFX

Wish I had a workshop the size of yours mate. I find painting an adictive nightmare, my neighbours laugh though and find it strange that I enjoy watching paint dry :laugh:

Back