Oh my, thats a tuff lesson...

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
FORT LEE, N.J. (AP) — Police say a teenager headed to a Sweet 16 party in New Jersey was killed after he stuck his head out of an emergency hatch of a double-decker bus and hit the underside of a highway overpass.

Port Authority of New York and New Jersey police identified the teenager killed Friday night as 16-year-old as Daniel Fernandez, of Sayreville, N.J.

Police say he was one of 65 teenagers aboard the bus headed to a party in New Jersey. The bus was crossing the George Washington Bridge from New York when the accident occurred at the Fletcher Avenue overpass of Interstate 95.

Police say Fernandez was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Designer Transportation, which operates the bus, expressed its "deepest heartfelt sympathy" for the boy's family

yeah whats worse, he had been told previously during the ride not to do it for that very reason by the driver. Seems some kids just cannot listen and think they are smarter than others. If you've never been through some of these areas in NYC, there's at times, very very little clearance on any side of those buses and trucks.

Sad loss for the family, hopefully his friends never forget and pay attention when someone says "you will get hurt if you do that, don't do it again" as the driver had told that very young man on that very bus that night.

and my kids wonder why i yell at them....

That's it - they are kids.
The average person's brain is not developed until they are 25 years old.

Funny thing is most kids don't think they know everything until they are around 18.
I guess some get to that stage early, like 16. We all know that knowing everything can get you killed, right?

???

Pronounced dead at the hospital???? I'm pretty sure he was at the scene. How horrible.

i thought hed been decapitated but i guess he probably just hit the bottom of one of the girders and suffered severe trauma from the impact. seriously not trying to be funny but it sounds llike natural selection at work. I mean dogs cant resist doing it but a person should especially after being warned. but at that age your own mortality doesnt exist either.

Sad story. I guess we'll be seeing some new laws prohibiting double decker buses now...

Sad story. I guess we'll be seeing some new laws prohibiting double decker buses now...

probably not. Even with the litigious nature of NYC and the way people want to always add controls, I think a lot of folks around here are seeing this as a sad event but one that was no one but the kid's fault. The tour company did everything right according to the law. The guy didn't pop out of a roof vent or window that could have been locked down, he popped the emergency hatch and paid the ultimate price. Can't make those things any more secure than they are because of the nature of what they are there for. I suspect what will happen is that the family will sue the tour company, their insurance will pay some amount because it will be cheaper than going to court and doing battle and it will be forgotten and off the news within a week. On the off chance that some charges are filed I think the same situation plays out, with the exception that you might hear about the verdict if it ever goes the distance.

Sad day all around but just goes to show that kids will continue to do stupid things and as parents we have to hope that we have instilled enough common sense in our children to not do excessively stupid shid like this when they are away from us.

Sad for sure, but I bet most of us on this thread disregarded similar advice in other areas and have been lucky, the kids number was up, still sad though.

RedBusarider said:
That's it - they are kids.
The average person's brain is not developed until they are 25 years old.

Funny thing is most kids don't think they know everything until they are around 18.
I guess some get to that stage early, like 16. We all know that knowing everything can get you killed, right?

My sister told me the same thing. Then jokingly made the comment kids are brain damaged until they are 25.

It is all in Gods plans and I guess he needed another angel.

Kinda sounds to me like a scene from the 'Final Destination' movies.

Back